All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 23:53 

Coaching 5th and 6th grade girls.
We just finished our season on a down note in the "playoffs", being up 9-5 at the half but then not scoring a single point in the 2nd half and getting blown out (mind you when the game was out of hand I took out my top two players & the other team kept theirs in) 9-30ish.

Anyhow, just wondering what your thoughts were on having a "end of season" meeting.
I would like to have it but I feel like it'll go in one ear & out the other, like in games. lol

I think I'll just pull the aside one by one and give them a small talk.

ps enjoy your site immensely.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 06:54 

I think that would be a great idea....

I would do this in two parts... one as a team....talking about your improvements during the season, picking out all the positive moments that you can. A very POSITIVE meeting.

Then I would talk to each player individually..... give them a written evaluation focusing on the things they need to work on rather than talking about ANYTHING NEGATIVE. Stay away from that.... you want to leave them on a positive note... so they want to play next year and get out and work on their game.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 08:27 

I would agree with Coach Sar.

At the end of each season, I like to talk to my teams and go over our goals we set and stress to them my appreciation for them. However over a span of a couple of weeks, I like to meet with everyone returning and set individual goals for the offseason and explain to them their current role and expectations. I also give them an evaluation form and I actually have them evaluate themselves and we meet again after the evaluation form is completed.