All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 08:45 

My daughter is a post player at 5'10 on her high school team varsity. However she is very good at what she do but because of her height she may need to move to guard. coming from a AAU team in the summer she has lost her confidence because she is so used to being on first string. now she does not play as much because the high school coach had his favorites and she is not one of them. He does not give her any respect as a player and this has brought down her confidence and belief in herself. What can I do to help her?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 10:50 

As a parent you have already taken the first step in helping your daughter and that is seek out a way to help. I would encourage you to continue encouraging her to continue working hard in practice. If she continues to work and prepare herself for games, she may get an opportunity and she must be ready for when that time arrives.
I also think as a parent, you can find time for your daughter to continue working on her skills. Possibly finding time to get extra reps in for shooting or ball handling. You may also want to consider having your daughter speak to her coach. As a coach I want to have an open door for my players and I will openly discuss playing time with players but not parents.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 12:38 

Good advice Neil.

Tell her daughter that she needs to work on all aspects of her game.. the more positions she can play the more valuable she will be to the team. She needs to be able to handle the ball, read defenses and pass well along with being able to shoot it.

The offense we ran forced all of our players to be able to do the above.. not just be good at one position because they were all interchangeable.

What year in school is she right now?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 14:57 

Have her continue working hard in practice and in games. She will eventually get noticed by the coaching staff. The coach may have his/her favorites now but if this coach is committed to winning he/she will need your daughter's passion, hustle and talent out there on the court.
Make sure you communicate to your daughter that she must be a team player, must encourage her teammates and show enthusiasm in practice. This stands out with coaches. Sad faces and negative body language can affect a player status on the team.

Lastly, see if she can sneak into the gym 10 minutes before every practice and maybe stay 10 minutes after working on her moves and her shooting form on her own...again..coaches see this and will take notice.

Good Luck

Coach A

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 17:45 

Sister: I have been coaching this game for over 35 years and any coach worth their salt, plays the best five kids he or she has in the best five spots available. I have heard this argument time and time again "my son or daughter is not playing because the coach only plays his favorites". Of the thousands of kids Ive coached over the years, I have never had favorites, however, I have had kids that I liked better than others because of their work ethic, attitudes, personalities and their desire in both practice and games. Coach A makes an outstanding point, a coach only wants a player that shows the above qualities instead of one that mopes around because he/she is not getting the playing time she or their parents think she deserves. If your daughter comes home from games or practice with this negative attitude about playing time and you support her and tell her she is right instead of trying to understand why the coach selects certain players over your daughter then you are simply feeding into her negative demeanor and that will make things much worse for your daughter. The best success story I have to offer is about a young lady who was so far at the end of my bench i had to send her text messages to get her to sub in. She never complained and her parents were the most supportive I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. They worked with her in the driveway and anywhere else they could find a hoop. She always came to practice with a smile, always had a joke for her teammates, was the first player to get to a fallen or injured player worked so hard in practice that it was difficult for me to keep her off the floor and never complained. Eventually, she became a starter on a National Championship team and ended up with a full ride to North Carolina Charlotte. I must agree with Coach A, I have told parents time and time again, I will never come to your office and tell you how to do your job. Good Luck and keep me posted...coach Mac

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 18:43 
Site Admin

Wow, this is excellent advice. As a coach, I really respected and appreciated a player that was proactive and came to me asking for advice. It would really get my attention when a player asked me what they could do to get more playing time, reach their goals, and help the team. It's a very rare thing but that's what a responsible and mature player does.

Read this article. You can even print it out and give it to your daughter. I think this article and the advice above will really help!
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/players/10-basketball-tips-playing-time.html