All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 09:33 

First of all, I would like to thank you for your very useful tips. It truly improved my knowledge of the game both as a coach and a player. I am currently coaching a junior varsity which are 14 years old and under. We held practices 3 times a week in 2 hours per session. We only have a month left before the competition and I started coaching them for 5 sessions now. Most of my players are still lacking the fundamentals but they can already dribble, pass and shoot but not as good yet as they should be. What do you think should I do? What should be the focus of our practice? I am running out of time because up to now I am still focusing on developing their skills and fundamentals. We have not discussed team strategy as of yet and we haven’t played a tune up game even. Please help me. Thank you very much and more power to you and to the whole organization of Breakthrough Basketball.

Best regards,
Lawrence

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 17:49 

Coach,

Its time to sit down and make out a good practice plan... long term (1 month day by day) and a daily plan. Write down what you need in and by what date... then make out daily practice plans to make sure these things are covered.

Continue to teach the fundamentals but IF they don't where and and when to use them.. they will be lost.... then they will lose confidence in their ability to play.

Start putting in your game plan while you teach the fundamentals. You have approximately 12 days and 24 hours to get this done in... use your time wisely.

IF you are still not sure, find a high school coach in your area that can help you out with this... most coaches are more than willing to help younger / newer coaches.

Ken

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 19:58 
Site Admin

Ken gave you some good advice. I'll add a couple things...
I would implement a simple motion offense, man to man defense, and continue teaching the skills that you are currently working on. With motion offense, you should be able to practice skills at the same time that you implement the offense.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/blog/index.php/coaching-youth-basketball-with-limited-time-1-practice-a-week/

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/motion-offenses.html

Let us know how else we can help.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 09:44 

Ichang: The previous advice given is excellent ! I would add a couple of things to bring your team concepts together a little quicker. You can run a simple motion offense as Jeff suggested. I would make it so simple that the only thing wrong they can do is be MOTIONLESS ! Rules like you must cut to the basket after every pass no matter where you are on the court. You cannot stand in the same spot for longer than a 2 count. Never cut to the corner when someone is posting on that side. When someone dribbles at you go backdoor.

You can add others but it's been my experience and still is on my game nights that most high school teams can't guard the give and go or the backdoor cut 25 % of the time. this type of offense would be hard to scout since even you don't know where hey are going to be so your opponent can't know. It teaches basic basketball fundamentals and is an excellent offense to practice your man to man defense against everyday.

At your level, it is your job to develop players, not be undefeated. You are the building blocks for the varsity.

As far as johnnies and Joes and x's and o's goes, I have always believed that a team can have better players but if they don't play well together and have decent fundamentals the advantage switches to the other team.

I hope this helps you.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 17:02 

Coach West -

Great advice, especially on this point...

You can add others but it's been my experience and still is on my game nights that most high school teams can't guard the give and go or the backdoor cut 25 % of the time. this type of offense would be hard to scout since even you don't know where hey are going to be so your opponent can't know. It teaches basic basketball fundamentals and is an excellent offense to practice your man to man defense against everyday.

We ran an Open Post Offense and made a living on BACK DOOR CUTS.... tough to cover and tough to scout because you never know when a player is going to do it.... If they overplay... back door time!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 08:38 

Coach Sar: I would have enjoyed playing against your teams because it would have made me a better coach for my kids. I would have had to prepare them fundamentally to the hilt. I've read a lot of your posts and you give excellent fundamental advice to young coaches but some of us vetereans are taking note as well. Keep up the good work for the greatest game of all !!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 08:47 

Thanks Coach West -

Most coaches hated playing us because they knew that they were going to be in for a long night on D! I had several of them tell me that they told this to their players..... " IF you let EAST get ahead of you early YOU are going to be in for a long night on Defense! " :-)

We ran an Open Post Offense / Princeton Style with a lot of movement... along with several sets to keep the other teams off balance. We also ran a 3 out 2 in but when our Post players went South we went to the Open Post with a lot of success.... Not always Ws but we were in the game. We played m2m D - On/Up the Line and a 1-3-1 match up zone that we tweaked to fit our needs.. for one thing.. we had our 5 play their 5 m2m, that solved the problem of him NOT knowing who is was to cover at times.

We always loved a good challenge. I'm sure that you would have your players ready!

I love this forum.. there are a lot of good coaches on it... and I enjoy giving back to the game that I love.... by helping kids and coaches..... letting them draw off my experiences.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 09:07 

Coach Sar you've left the door open now for an eager student. I would like to see some of your open post offense and 1-3-1 zone. Do you have any of this on line or where can I get it ?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 09:25 

Coach West.... Now you are getting into highly classified materials - do you have clearance? :-)

I always hate doing this to Jeff & Joe because they are great guys... but both of those are on Coaches Clipboard.... I wish I could figure out how to send the link....

Click here: Basketball Offense - Open Post Offense "Double-Up", Coach's Clipboard Playbook

Basketball Defense - 1-3-1 Match-up Zone Defense, Coach's Clipboard Playbook

Let me know what you think coach.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 14:31 
Site Admin

We don't mind at all. Coaches Clipboard is a good site! I think these are the links you were trying to paste:
http://www.coachesclipboard.net/OpenPostDoubleUp.html

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/MatchupZone131.html

Ken, here's a video that shows you how to copy and paste links. Maybe this will help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZsSYM4bHIA