All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 12:31 

Can the player inbounding the ball dribble while out of bounds? After a goal? After a made free throw? After being handed the ball by the Official?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 12:53 

Why would any coach teach or allow that? What age group are we talking about here?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 18:31 

All I know, is that following a made field goal, the player in-bounding the ball can run the baseline. however, if there has been no score, once the official hands the ball, the player must inbound from that spot. However, that being said, I have to agree with Coach sar, why would any coach teach that or did some kid do that and the official allowed it??. Coach Mac

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 16:11 

NFHS (High School) rules do not prohibit as far as I know. See: http://www.nfhs.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001976 for a review of the "Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules".
Here's an excerpt on throwins:
"A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line."

Steve

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 16:32 

Thanks for the clarification of the rule.... I will tell you what I told my players... I want your feet staggered and as a team we move when the ref hands us the ball.... slapping the ball or a dribble takes up valuable time.... and in the heat of the game with sweaty hands... a slap can cause you to lose control... the staggered stance is so that you don't lose balance and step over the line.... with that stance, you can make a hard pass fake and not lose balance .... or as you are trying to make a pass and all of a sudden someone steps in front of the receiver - you can take it back... not as easy if your feet are parallel.