All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2015, 13:49 

Hi,

I am starting to implement the Value Points System for my youth team (3rd-4th). One thing I am not clear is how to treat player doesn't have a shot attempt in the game. For example; my daughter played for 10 minutes in the game. She had one assist and one steal in that period. Based on the VPS formula, her VPS will be 4. But, it doesn't sound right to compare her with a player who had 1.6 VPS. The same 1.6 player who played the whole game and scored 17 points.

My question is how to adjust in this situation of the inflated VPS due to no shot attempt or any bad decisions made? I would love to hear your opinion.

Thank you,
Henry

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2015, 18:43 

I believe Coach Miles discusses in the DVD that there is a difference in how the VPS is perceived for certain situations, such as the points a player scores or shots the player takes in a competitive situation or in the minutes of a blowout.

Additionally, he does say that the VPS is only one tool for determining playing time. You may need to accumulate those stats over a few games instead of just using one that may be an outlier. Limited minutes or a certain type of situation will obviously not give you a full statistical sampling. And one 10 minute segment of a game is not enough to apply the VPS adequately. If I remember correctly, and I will have to go back and review the video, Coach Miles had about 8 (?) scrimmages of accumulated statistics to apply the VPS formula to in order to utilize it.

Going off of one 10 minute playing performance in a game using VPS is like calculating batting average or player WAR off of a single game performance.

Have you tried using the VPS in scrimmages? Taping the scrimmages and applying the VPS to a reviewing of the statistics from the scrimmage may give you a little bit of a better statistical sampling.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 12:56 
Site Admin

Here's my take. I've been using the VPS for quite a few years now.

There will be plenty of anomalies when looking at scores by game. There just isn't enough time to get statistically significant results. You really need at least 50 minutes of playing time before it starts becoming statistically significant.

I don't adjust the scores at all. I leave them be and just use it as a tool.

With really young kids, the VPS is not a major point of emphasis but we do use it. I just started using it with our my daughters team during her 4th grade season. As 3rd graders I only tracked rebounds, steals, and any hustle stat I could think of.

There are games where I don't show or mention the VPS score at all because it might just confuse the players. You pointed out one confusing instance in your example with your daughter.

But I almost always use it as a tool. Many times on a case by case basis. I might show a certain player had a score of 4 and it was the highest score. I showed them it was because they only had one negative thing and 6 positive things (rebounds). So I am giving them positive reinforcement on the great job they did rebounding. And also giving them an idea of what i want them to do as a player.

Other times I might point out how turnovers are hurting the VPS score and that's why their score is low. I had this talk with one 4th grader and this is when the light built went off and she realized the needed to simply look before dribbling. She kept getting herself in trouble by attacking with the dribble and going into bad spots. Problem pretty much went away after that.

Each situation is unique. And it's somewhat of an art for the coach to use this tool to motivate and get the results from players that they are looking for.

I should also point out that I mostly emphasize the hustle stats with young kids. I have really small players that do the right things but they aren't strong enough to score yet. In time that will change. So I don't want the lack of scoring stats to discourage them.

Hopefully that helps a little?

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 16:41 

Thank you, both answers make a lot of senses!

As a first time coach for my daughter's recreational team, I found it challenging to find a common theme to motivate a group of 3rd and 4th graders with different tangible skills. I am hoping tracking and showing their individual VPS will teach them a lesson. Basketball is not simply about scoring.

Jeff, do you reward player based on VPS improvement?

Henry

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 18:49 
Site Admin

I only give verbal praise and acknowledgement as reward. However with kids that young I primarily focus on the hustle stats like rebounding, steals, loose ball recoveries, etc. As they get older I make a bigger deal about VPS scores and players take pride in their scores always checking to see how they did.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2022, 15:03 

When looking at the VPS spreadsheet what does the GP stand for?