All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 09:17 

I'm preparing to install a 4 out 1 in dribble drive motion offense for 8th grade girls. The offense is set up for 3 point shooting. My question is once we start practicing should I start having the girls do shooting drills from 3 point range or should I start them from inside the 3 point line and work them out past the arch during the season? I prefer the girls to be proficient from mid range but I also want them feeling comfortable shooting the 3. What do you think?

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 11:30 

Coach,
Only you know how well your girls can shoot. They are 8th graders and typically there are a lot of them that don't have good fundamentals of shooting the ball. (boys or girls) IF you get them outside of their comfort zone, they are going to "heave" the ball up there.

IF this was me, I would start them inside the arc and let them work their way out. I wouldn't let any player shoot a three in a game if they cant make it in practice.

I had a rule for my teams ( Boys Varsity High School ) DO NOT do anything in a game that you don't work on in practice. Players need to know their strengths and limitations... and IF they cant make threes in practice I sure didn't want them shooting threes in games. JMO coach

Coach Sar

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 19:07 
Site Admin

Coach,

In my opinion, 8th grade is too early for girls or boys to shoot lots of 3's. Of course some 8th graders will be able to hit 3's pretty proficiently. But that is not usually the case.

At this age level, learning how to shoot properly is important. Without enough strength, young players tend to "chuck" long distance shots instead of shooting properly. Not a good habit for a young player to learn.

I agree with Ken's suggestions. Focus on shooting lots of close and mid-range shots. That will actually allows players to get more reps and helps long distance too.

In regards to competition, if a player can't shoot 3's for a high percentage in practice, they should not shoot in games. Do you track and chart shooting percentages? You can run some game like shooting drills and keep track how many them make. If you track this, it will become obvious that not many players should be shooting 3's.

Get lots of lay ups out of your dribble drive motion and you'll have a good year. The team with the most lay ups usually wins.

Good luck.

Jeff Haefner

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 07:46 

That situation can be a little touchy. I personally would not implement the offense unless I have atleast (3) 3 point shooters already established. Otherwise I don't see you being very proficient offensively. Building 3 point shooters like that at that age is something I would reserve for the off season.

This way, as the others have stated, you can develop thier shot before you develop thier range. Which from all of my experiences have found that players will quickly change thier form beyond the arc if it isn't 110% muscle memory. Which in turn can eventually effect thier overall form in mid range areas, FT, etc.,.

http://www.spartanpt.com/blog

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 12:11 

Thanks I appreciate the advice. The team has pretty much athletic girls who can slash and shoot pretty well so I will definitely make sure in shooting drills they concentrate on midrange shooting and layups until I recognize who can comfortably shoot from long range.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 11:19 

I would spend alot of time on shooting off the dribble. Especially one dribble pull ups. From there add moves from triple threat into the one dribble jumpshots. If they do become good 3 point shooters it is going to be easy to get the defenders to close out hard on the ball and allow your players to get by for the mid range. Just have to make sure they can knock it down from there.

http://www.spartanpt.com/blog