All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 23:26 

It never fails, we start our games (HS girls) down 10-2 right off the bat almost every game. We usually come back and win them but have lost 1-2 because of slow start. It literally happens every game. We have 5 good players and they start (and play most minutes) - not a lot off the bench. I’ve tried starting a few different players in 2-3 games (but no success). I’ve tried changing warmup routine recently, no luck. Any ideas on what I can try to help. We game plan to the “t” and nothing is thrown at them at the beginning that they wouldn’t be aware of (2-3, press, m2m, etc ...).

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 15:59 
Site Admin

Sounds like you changed warm up routine... sometimes when you really get them making decisions with good game based warm ups... that can help. Can try to dig up a few of those if you need them.

If you have captains, you can try that. You can set some goals 1st quarter goals and challenge them. Every team / player has different personality that makes them tick.

Some really good teams... that's just how they are. They know they are good. They don't start working hard or get focused until they need to. That can be touch to change. Sometimes they learn after a bad loss... getting too far in the hole. Sometimes not. In any case, it's not a terrible problem to have.

Talk with each player individually and ask them. Why do we start off slow? What can we do different? Or what would motivate you to start strong and keep it going the whole game?

You can scan through here and see if any ideas jump at you:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/mental/motivate-players.html