All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 22:25 

I am coaching a varsity team that has a hard time with pressure defense. We turn the ball over way to much which in turn results in points for the other team, I need some suggestions on how i can work with the players i have to help reduce the Turn overs, we play very good defense which does help the situation but full court pressure we really struggle with especially man-man double teams and zone presses. I have tried getting them to run a press breaker but they even have a hard time with that. the last few games we have had anywhere from 20-25 turnovers. Help i need some suggestions that can help me out.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 13:18 

Find a good press offense that you can run vs man or zone... then practice it every day until they can do it in their sleep..... I learned very early in my Varsity coaching career.... and I wasn't about to let a press beat us again... you can beat us other ways .... but not with that.

We practiced it every day for 10-15 minutes. .... one day man and the next day zone...... we added a 6th man on defense to simulate the quickness of the other teams. Then I told them that I would take a 10 second call and not be mad, just don't throw the ball away, we can play defense when they put the ball in play from the side or whatever... we cant defend steals and breakaway layups.

Keep someone in the middle working to get open.. keep someone behind the line of the ball at all times and reverse it as many times as you have too. 10 seconds is forever. Everyone has to be on the same page.... so tell them to make themselves available to help out... When you see the trap coming reverse the ball.

I hope this helps...

Ken

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 15:56 

Would you have any suggestions for a good press breaker? The one i have been using is one taking the ball out of bounds 2 at the free throw line split or cross get the ball in bounds 2 more players just past half court and the one opposite side of the ball breaks to the middle for pass from the wing if open we need to get it there. then fly up the sideline on the outside front 2 for a return pass to either side. Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 16:41 
Site Admin

I have used this with great success as a player and a coach at the youth and HS varsity levels.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/plays/linepressbreaker.html

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010, 09:37 

Two things are required to break press/reduce turnovers:

Spacing and Poise

Coach Ken is right. I have used a 5 vs. 6 during practices. this drill can be used vs zone press or M2M pressure. Basically that 6th man on defense creates havoc and double-teaming.

Your team needs poise, which means calm under pressure. I know it's varsity level, large loud crowds, parents and students in the stands. It's a lot of pressure for a 17 year old. So true what Coach Ken says....10 seconds is actually a long time. Kids rush because they don't want to get called for 10 sec. violation.
I pull my kids off to the side during a practice as we are going over our pressbreaker and actually count 10 seconds slowly....so they realize it's actually sufficient time to get the ball over half court.

Maybe during your 5 vs. 6 full court press drill you can loudly count off the seconds....this may help.

Good Luck!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010, 11:25 

Thanks Coach A.

Joe,

Thats the same press offense we used against all presses.... the only difference is when we read m2m, we cleared everybody out... taking the inbounder and crossing the face of the guard with the ball.

Someone asked me when I started using this and where I got it, not sure where I got this but I liked it from day 1.

Kids love it because it is simple for them to remember....

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010, 22:32 

thanks for the input guys I appreciate everyone's input.

Coach Pikka

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 07:47 

Good luck Coach.... let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions feel free to fire them at us.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 09:29 
Site Admin

Yeah, Ken. Saying that I could teach it, it is very easy to teach.

As you were implying, it's usually great to read what kind of defense the opponent is playing as well.

When I played, the high school coach did the same thing. If they were playing man, they cleared everybody out.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 09:42 

Funny Joe,

I wasn't putting you down as a coach... more to myself.. heck, if I could teach it anyone can. :-)

Great minds think alike!