All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2019, 08:17 

Does anyone run the Gonzaga man Offensive set, if so how is your success?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2019, 09:29 

Chargers22-

Are you referring to the ball screen continuity that Gonzaga has run for a man offense in the past?

I have run that at both youth and HS levels with success. It was not usually something we ran for an entire game, rather portions of the game when we wanted switch things up, or we even ran it against 2/3 Zones and would screen the top of the 2/3 zone. It did two nice things in the zone....got movement of players and got screening action.

There are lots of variations that you can implement with this offense depending on personnel and if your post can pick and pop or you prefer keeping them close to the basket.

Doug Wagemester from Kirkwood College was maybe the first to implement something like this.....I know he had a lot of success and presented this offense to coaches at the Final Four years ago.

Hope this helps!

Mark Brase
Breakthrough Basketball

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2019, 10:47 

yes, the ball screen and roll and the back door option in their series. I am looking for something to get players moving and provide some scoring opportunities.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2019, 12:37 

I found the offense relatively easy to put in....but the true coaching came when teaching kids how to make the correct read on what to do offensively depending on what what done defensively.

For us, it was usually most effective when we were able to run 3 or for 4 ball screens. The defense we often make a mistake and breakdown by that point. When running an offense like this some players see this pick and roll as an opportunity to get a shot up, even if it wasn't a great one.

Going into a game, I found that players had to be well prepped on how to attack all types of defenses on ball screens, from switching, to hedging, to icing. Sometimes we would run it once before the end of a half or a quarter so we could see how they were going to defend the ball screen. It might set up something we wanted to run later in the game and tell us what we will see against any offense we ran with a ball screen involved.

Mark Brase
Breakthrough Basketball