All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 02:50 

Hi guys

I'm a teacher in England. Therefore don't have as much time to coach as I would like.........however this year am training two different teams simultaneously and therefore will come up against mainly man with one team and mainly zone with the other.

Question is.........Is there a simple offense I could use which wouldn't take too long to implement as in the past the team I've taken over has had very little coaching.

I've coached vs Zone quite a bit previously however would be happy to take on offenses which would prove successful versus either zone or man.

In the main though I'm just looking for a simple offense to teach v Man defence.

Any suggestions please............much appreciated in advance.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2019, 05:51 

Our program uses the read & react for both man and even front zones. We add in a 2 guard front offense to use against odd front zones (specifically a zone runner offense).

However, I know in the Kelbick DVD he discusses using motion against man and zone to some success. At the end of the day, you just need to select something that makes sense for your program and personnel.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2019, 06:16 

I'm just spit balling here. I'm not sure what age level you're working with. But you might consider a 4 out 1 in motion. I like working the post from the weakside when using 41 motion.

Then when going against zone, I lift the post near the FT line... working high post areas. Rules are now:
- on every guard lane to guard lane pass, the passer cuts to short corner
- this gives you a triangle on strong side. the other two players I call "weakside players". if players get messed up, just form this triangle when ball is on wing or corner area
- if nothing in triangle, the wing can skip pass or dribble to top and then pass or pitch back. if reversing it, this is considered a guard to guard pass, and you apply the first rule (passer goes to short corner).

This is a very simple way to run 4 out 1 in against zone, and it works extremely well for us.

Another option is to run any motion offense (can be 4 out, 5 out or whatever) and then have a simple continuity when you see zone:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/kelbick-zone-offense.html

In this case, you still have two different offenses. But they are very simple and easy to learn. I have used this zone with boys, girls, and several different levels with a lot of success. This year I'm using that continuity with 7th grade boys against zone.

If you have other questions, let us know.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 16:27 

Can you please clarify the guard lane to guard lane pass?

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2019, 01:39 

Thanks guys

You have given me plenty of ideas moving forwards.

Just to clarify......the younger boys are Y10 and are 14 or 15. They've had very little coaching

The older team are 15, 16 and 17 yr olds. Had more coaching but still find it hard transferring skills from drill to game situation.

Slowly but surely.

Thank you again.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2019, 04:55 
Site Admin

The guard lane is the spot between the top of the key and the wing. If you image the lane-line extends to the 3pt line... the guard lane would be just outside of that spot. So if you have a 2 guard front, players are spaced about 15 ft apart outside of the lane lines and outside the 3pt lane. When those players pass to each other, it's what I consider a guard to guard pass. However often times, the pass comes from the wing or even lower... so anytime the ball crosses the top of key on the pass, we consider that a time for the passer to cut to the short corner. Hope that explanation clarifies.