All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 08:09 

Thank you so much for all of the information you provide through your website. It has been a tremendous blessing for me. My name is Andy. I am 43 years old and I am currently serving in my first year as the high school varsity girls coach at a small private Christian school. I coached jv girls last year and had a wonderful time. Unfortunately, I realized how inexperienced I was and got out coached about every game. However, we did manage to win 8 games despite my failures as a coach and all of my girls improved tremendously. The biggest thing I struggle with is putting the right practice plans and strategies together. This is my first time ever coaching a varsity sport and I am scared to death. I know this is a completely different level and understand I might be out of my league a little. However, I am becoming a sponge trying to learn all that I can from a coaches perspective, not just a player’s. Do you have any recommendations for a new coach? Thanks in advance for your time.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 18:28 

Congrats on the new gig sounds like it will be fun and challenging.

A couple of clarifying questions:

1) Why do you think you were "outcoached" in those games? Did you feel like you didn't know how to change things on the court when they weren't going the way they should?

2) Are you wondering how you determine what to work on practice to practice?

3) When you use the word "strategy," are you asking how a coach knows which offense and defense to use? Strategies for what-if scenarios (e.g., the other team presses)?

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 02:59 

Thank you so much for your reply. I will answer the questions below.

1. Yes. I did feel at times a little overwhelmed by not knowing exactly what to do in different game situations as far as defense and offense. Also, learning when to substitute was a challenge at times.

2. As far as practice. I know that I need to work on skill work and fundamentals, conditioning, and strategies concerning offense and defense. The biggest thing is knowing when to institute certain plays or even how organize those to make sure I'm not wasting any practice time.

3. Yes. When I say strategies, I am referring to all those things. I know how I liked to play and what I learned as a player. That was full court high pressure defense and man to man half court mainly. But... I know that a lot of that can depend on personnel.

My biggest concern is to ensure that I'm doing everything I can to make sure my girls improve and that I will make a positive impact on not just their skills but in their life as well. My biggest fear is disappointing the team.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 06:19 
Site Admin

I'm not sure there's anything out there for a new coach. I think for most new coaches, they coach the way they were coached in high school or college... with a few wrinkles. Then in time they evolve to an extent. Some throw out almost everything and put in their own twist -- and others just tweak.

Here are a few resources that I think are good for new coaches:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/philosophy.html
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/three-things.html
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/pre-season-tips.html

Beyond that, film your games. By watching filming and then googling different offenses and defenses you can learn tactics.

And keep learning about player development. Attend clinics, watch DVDs, and watch your game film. That's how you learn.

I'm not the best at calling the right plays during games. I have a few good ones in my back pocket. But I'm just not a "plays" guy and I know it. Plenty of coaches are much better at it than me. What I enjoy and believe in is:
- half court man defense
- rebounding
- player development (skills, decision making, etc, etc)
- simple motion offense
- playing hard and working hard (effort)
- character development

Those are the things I focused on. I learn everything I can about those things. We hardly ever run plays. We make up for it by focusing on those things. It works for me but for another coach it might not work because they are not committed to those things like I am. You have to believe in it.

Lastly, be yourself. It's great to watch and study other coaches. Bu you can't fool the players. You might really like what you see from another coach... but trying to act like them just doesn't work. Players see through it. Be yourself and get great at a few things.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 16:20 

Wow! Thank you so much for the encouraging words. I think that maybe I am overthinking it way too much. This is pretty amazing. Everything you spelled out sounds exactly like me. I like gritty hard nosed man to man defense, I'm definitely not a play caller either. Your reply has been super encouraging. Thank you so much. I just need to take what I am learning and apply it to my core basketball values along with what I learned as a player. I really enjoy your website and am so thankful for the information. I hope you continue to be successful.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 17:45 

My two cents. Pick a few things on offense and defense, emphasize them and become experts at those. I'm more in the camp of doing a few things really well than having a lot of things done at a mediocre level. For example, if you choose a 3-2 half court press, figure it out, practice it a ton and become proficient at it. Same with an offense.

I find it's not so much which system or strategy you choose, it's the moving parts executed correctly that make you more successful. A screen is a screen in any offensive scheme, but if your players set or take them incorrectly, it doesn't matter what scheme you're using. Same on defense with traps, blocking out, etc.

Review the game tapes (and stats) as Jeff suggested and you'll know what to work on from practice to practice. Keep it simple, and become experts a few key components and you'll have some fun.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 18:11 

Rob. Thank you! The light bulb just went off for me. You are completely right. I just need to focus on a few things and do them very well! That is great insight. Thank you so much for investing time to answer my questions. This has been very uplifting and encouraging.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2018, 16:05 

Glad we could help. Love to hear how the season is going or if you just want to bounce something off the folks here. Check back when you can.