All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 17:22 

Hey, I am a 19 yo university student, I have little experience with quality basket ball wich mostly comes from one year that I was in a ymca team (that was 3 years ago). However I am pretty good at the sport and I have been playing ever since school, though you would probably call that street basketball.

Well truth be told, I haven't played much these last months mostly because I was lazy and my ball broke, so right now I seem to be quite out of shape and my stamina, muscle strength and flexibility all seem tragically low compared to usually.

However I was considering going once again to that team again this September and I am thinking of training myself as hard and efficiently as possible these months in between, in order to not only be able to keep up with the rest of the team, but also not being horifyingly ashamed when they see the state I am at.

So I would like to ask you for suggestions on my programm to become not only fit but also good at basketball in the meantime, I mean it wouldn't hurt insead of embarassing myself to surprise them, right? Stuff like special exercises, or what to focus on early on . I would dare to add that I am an extremelly quick learner and don't hold back on those hard training "things", (if this weren't true I wouldn't even mention about getting on a level to surprise them in just a couple of months).

If you could give me a daily-weekly programm suggestion that would be awesome too, but if not that's ok!

Thank you in advance! :D

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 08:10 

Aren't there any ideas on my case?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 14:04 
Site Admin

Sorry didn't see this until now.

My short answer is you should:
- spend lots of time working on your skills: shooting, finishing, dribbling, passing, footwork
- improve your conditioning (endurance) and agility

It would require me to write a book to explain how to do all that. But if you start with the high level plan you can then do research to work on those things.

So for scoring skills I think you'll want to be a 2 or 3 dimensional scorer. If you are a guard then:
1) Develop a great outside shot
2) Get really good at finishing (basic lay ups) and a couple finish moves against help defenders
3) Work on a mid-range game (pull up jump shot)

So if the defense takes away your outside shot, you can drive. If they take away your drive you can shoot outside or go to pull up jumper. Most players are either really good at driving or really good at outside shooting. If you can get really good at both you have a chance to score a lot of points.

If you work out really hard, then that can take care a lot of your conditioning. Otherwise you can do interval sprints to get in shape. Also work on agility and quickness exercises to get better at defense and more explosive off the bounce.

So make a list of all the stuff you want to get better at and then create a plan. Do research to find drills to work on those areas. Then if you need help with pieces of the plan let us know. But you need to make the plan yourself for it to be effective. It work much better when you take ownership and since I have never seen you play or even know how tall you are, it would be hard for me to make a good workout plan for you.

I would suggest working on shooting and ballhandling every practice session. Then you can alternate other skills and asepcts if you need to.

If you want pre-packaged workouts we can recommend some resources for you. But those resources cost money.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 19:57 

Good advice from Jeff on this one. There are tons of drills (solo) out on Youtube from ball handling to agility. You have to do some research and decide which ones work for you.

Besides working out on your own, two other thoughts if you can make them happen:

1) Find a good coach who teaches private lessons or is willing to assess where you're at right now. Might cost a little $$, but could pay off big time.

2) Find some ways to play 1v1 or 3v3 if you can. Always nice to put that practice into something practical on the court.