All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 15:49 

My daughter is 11 and in 6th grade. There are 22 girls out for BB this season and we have two teams with 6 volunteer coaches. And it appears to me and a lot of the other parents that the coaches daughters seem to have most of the play time in games,how do we make it more equal without stepping on any toes so to speak. By the way it is not because they are better we meaning the parent just watched our girls get smoked 42 to 4 we are seeing very little teamwork and no play coordination. My daughter is getting confused as to why, as she knows the plays and she also gives up 4 months of her tar kwon do to play BB every year she is also in track and cross country training she is very athletic and has been to 2 breakthrough camps and two other BB camps this past year.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 16:33 
Site Admin

If there has only been a couple games you might want to give it more time. Maybe it will start evening out.

Some coaches will communicate up front what their philosophy is ahead of time in regards to playing time. That is something we recommend to coaches. But as you mention these are volunteer coaches... not getting paid or anything and many times they just don't know any better.

How much playing time is your daughter getting? If there are 10 players on the team and my daughter gets to play at least 40% of the time, I'd be fine with that. I would not bail my kid out. If they were wondering I'd tell him/her to politely ask the coach what she can do to get more playing time and help the team. Maybe she can start a dialogue. I know not easy for all kids but eventually that's what they'll need to do... be proactive if they want something.

Other things to consider. Maybe the coach doesn't realize playing time is not equal. Maybe they made subbing mistakes (I do all the time). Maybe your daughter asked to come out and didn't tell you. Maybe the coach didn't think your daughter wanted to be in there. I have kids ask to come out and don't show me they want to play. Of course they do not tell their parents.

If you feel you really need to talk with the coach, just ask if they have guidelines or philosophy regarding playing time... your daughter asked you and you didn't know what to tell her about why some players get in there more than others.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 17:30 

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the info. I’ll give it some more time and see what happens, my daughter waits all year for BB season she loves the game. I did fail to mention my wife is one of the coaches but does not coach my daughters team so the other girls do not think there is favoritism. Thanks again.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 14:54 

Tough spot. Like Jeff mentioned, it helps if the coach communicates their philosophy on playing time up front to avoid posts like this. The volunteer dealio gets tricky as you've got folks who are doing a good thing by volunteering, yet might not have experience coaching.

Assume this is a rec league? Does the league mention anything about play time?

Quote:
If you feel you really need to talk with the coach, just ask if they have guidelines or philosophy regarding playing time... your daughter asked you and you didn't know what to tell her about why some players get in there more than others.

^ Good way to approach it.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 15:13 

Thanks coach Rob, she is now looking forward to to school ball as she knows the coach will be doing a different strategy, he has already had a talk with her about next year, she is very excited!!