All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 09:51 

Good evening,

I want to start a basketball training business for ages 8 and up. My vision is to do individual and small group training.

Right now I'm planning to go with "Coach Dave Basketball" as the name and market through Facebook and word of mouth from friends. Also planning to use the court in my neighborhood for the training location.

Do you think the name is a good strategy or in your experience should I go with a name that doesn't look like a small operation (even though it is)?

Any other advice you have for a startup would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 12:35 
Site Admin

I think the name is fine. Should be pretty easy to remember. Long term, if you think you'll grow, you might want to adjust or change the name that is not registered as trademark and/or business entity in your state. Might also put more time and energy into coming up with a good brand name. But that can take a lot of time so just getting started might not be a bad idea. You can always adjust later if things go well.

When I did training, I would not take kids under 10 for individual training. I might offer a few clinics or something for young kids. But kids that young do not need me for training. They should develop a good athletic foundation by playing a bunch of sport seasonally... soccer, basketball, flag football, gymnastics, etc. That is the best thing for young kids that want to become great basketball players.

And even 10-11 needed a good reason before I would take them. Often times they are too small too shoot properly and it's just not good use of their time or money.

I know other trainers that take 5 year olds. But that just didn't seem right to me.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 13:28 

How did you get that first client?

My thought is to:
1. Give a free clinic - take a lot of action pics of the drills - post on my FB page
2. Ask friends to share my FB page

Did you do anything else? Such as post flyers around town, newspapers...?