All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 12:12 

We work every practice with 5 out passing and cutting with no defense, different spacing drills from the site here, we work on getting open, in the moment we start playing the girls go back to the old habits and don't try to space and the only way they get "free " is by running very close to each other and try to make half meter passing...I start to lose Hope :)
Any ideas?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 16:02 
Site Admin

Probably time to stop running 5v0 and add defense. Generally we start the season with 5v0 work and then once the get the basics we stop running those drills because they do not transfer to games very well, among other reasons.

With that said, we might run 5v0 pass and cut for 3 minutes as a warm up passing drill. But most of our offensive development happens with defense...
3v2, 3v3, 4v4, 5v5

You can play no dribble half court, allow 3 dribble limit, require 2 ball reversals before a shot, ball must get inside before you shoot, and so on. Hundreds of different rules and constraints you can add when playing games.

Most of our spacing work happens in the context of playing games. Yea we have drills to practice concepts and yes we try to incorporate pieces of our offense into skill development drills (multi tasking)... but much of the learning happens when playing actual games with defense.

Give it a try for a while and see if it helps. Might be time to get rid of most of your drills that do not include defenders. Good luck!

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2017, 11:34 

What I meant is when we play / drilling in practice with defense 3*2 or 4*3 than we start to have problems, they forget how to get free and keep spacing, my daughter is on the team and she gave me the best answer...daddy we just need to keep practicing :)
I think I want to see change and I just need to be more patient

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 06:39 
Site Admin

Yep. Just keep emphasizing and coming up with ways to solve those problems. Often times like you said it just requires patience, persistence, and experimentation on your part to find out what works. Every group is somewhat unique.