All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 01:15 

Hey guys
I'm a new member and am looking for pointers. I'm 14, turning 15, and have been playing for two years. Here in Australia we don't have much of a clear cut system when living in the country. So the best way I could describe how I play is like Isaiah Thomas. Dribbling and in the paint scoring emphasis. But recently I've realised if I hope to make it big in any way, I have to be a better defender.

Now keep in mind I'm 1.69m (5'6'' or thereabouts). In a recent game at school against the older kids (15 year olds at around 6'+) I blocked a fingeroll from their point guard and main player as he was raising the ball. I placed my hand on top and forced it down so it never left his hand. Now we get along fine, but by his reaction (he dropped the ball and went back, frustrated) I can't tell if I fouled him or if he was just annoyed that I blocked him. Advice? I haven't ever had a coach, so my knowledge is purely experience based.

Any replies are greatly appreciated,
Liam

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 06:37 
Site Admin

He's probably just frustrated. Sounds like a clean block. Even if you get fingers or part of hand, that is consider part of the ball. If you get wrist, arm, or make contact with body... that is usually a foul.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 11:56 

Agree with Jeff. Sounds like a pick-up game anyway where you're calling your own fouls? That's all part of the deal with pick-up games, wouldn't sweat it.

On your comment about defense, you are correct. In fact, most good coaches I know are all about defense, so you're on the right track. It's always fun to block a shot or steal the ball, but the bigger picture on defense is being quick and keeping your man away from the basket. Making it tough for them to pass or shoot. I'll take a player who basically shuts their man down from being effective over someone who gets a steal once in awhile.

A few tips from the site:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/defense/onball.html

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 14:02 

Thanks guys, I'll check out those tips for sure.

Yeah it was pretty much a pickup game. I'm too short compared to them to block any jump shots, so I tend to try and stay close so they go into the paint, then get them too close to the rim for a clean shot.

Thank you for the replies, I'll take these into account. Its good to know I can ask for help and get it quickly.