All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 14:53 

Can you recommend a video for my high school son to watch so he doesn't foul out. Thank you.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 17:05 

What type of fouls is he getting called for?

The biggest deterrent should be that he'll be sitting on the bench more. If I'm coaching a player who's prone to fouling, he gets the other team in a bonus situation quicker and puts more of the other team's players on the FT line more often. Both of those scenarios cost me points in the end. He also gets himself in foul trouble. All of those equal more bench time if I'm coaching.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2016, 14:43 

After thinking about my answer, it didn't really give you much in the way of helping with some tips on not fouling. Jeff or Joe might know of a video that deals with this issue specifically, I don't.

Tough to give input without knowing what kind of fouls, but I'm going to take a stab and say he's either playing too aggressively and not under control or he's getting beat on defense and gets called for blocking fouls. Or? He's trying to constantly block shots.

There are some players in high school who seem to have the finesse, quickness and body control to play more aggressively without drawing fouls. Most coaches I know just want good solid defense using body position. When a player uses their hands to consistently go for steals or block shots, that's where the problems can begin. If a player is getting a few steals or blocks but getting in foul trouble, the risk to reward isn't there.

Curious what you see your son doing? Is he playing too aggressively out of control? Is he going for steals and blocks all the time? Is he getting beat on defense and having to catch up to his player?