All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 10:46 

Hello, I purchased both Don Kelbick's DVDs - Motion Offense and Continuity Zone Offense. I will be coaching boys 7-8th grade basketball this winter and will be facing a mix of both man to man and zone defenses. I have used motion offense (5 man open post) at the 5-6th grade level where man to man was mandatory. Now that I will be facing zone defenses which offense should I use? I know motion works great against man to man, but should I use the zone continuity against zone defense and motion against man to man? thank you.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 15:26 
Site Admin

Coach - I would use what you feel comfortable with. If you feel more confident in the continuity, it will probably work better for you. And vice versa.

I personally use motion against zone at all levels 3rd grade to high school because I like the idea of having just ONE offense to save time. Works well for me. But I'm confident and committed to teaching it.

I strongly believe, it's not what you do, it's how you do it. I have seen hundreds of different offenses. I think all of them can be very effective, if you thoroughly understand the offense and do a good job teaching it.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 15:37 

Thank you Jeff. I am more comfortable with the motion offense (open post) and will use the adjustments that are mentioned in Don's Motion Offense DVD. I do use both cutting and screen actions. Just so I understand, I should move the corner spots to the short corner, so that it looks more like a 3 out, 2 in. When should the short corner players flash into the post?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 16:13 
Site Admin

You could move your corners to the short corner. I know other coaches do that. I tried it once but found my sophomores had a little trouble with rotations. I gave it one practice and gave up. I'm sure it could work with practice but I just tried as an experiment and was happy with what we did already so I ditched it.

Here are my favorite ways to attack zones when I have a team running 5 out motion...

5 Out

In this version, players use the normal 5 out motion. We only make one adjustment and emphasize a few additional concepts:

- Cutters stop in middle. They can stop for 3 count or until next pass is made. Ideally players mix things up but as a coach you can choose how long you have players stay in middle.

- Ball movement is emphasized in regular motion. But it becomes particularly important against zone. You want ball movement and also lots of pass fakes to get the zone out of balance.
Look for gaps. Encourage players to get in gaps (indecision areas of zone). Could be when filling, weakside cuts, or after passing.

- Always fill to ball and create good passing angles (might need to pop or back cut to get a good angle). You need to show them how to find passing angles. Gotta do this (fill immediately and find angle) or offense slows to a halt. Takes a little practice and emphasis.

4 Out High Post

One of my favorite way to attack zone. Get’s you lots of high low action and inside touches.

Works exactly same except you have a permanent high post player working the middle area -- and cutters always cut to low post or short corner. Cutters pause in low post/short corner area for 3 count or until next pass.

High post should find gaps. Look opposite or for high low game on catch. Middle player should dive in gap on low post catch.

4 Out Low Post

Again simple and effective and works the same. I used this entire season with 10th graders and used it against all zones. Worked great.

Only difference is you have a permanent low post. Cutters stop in the middle for 3 count or until next pass.

Look for high low game. Middle players should dive in gap on low post catch.

If any of this doesn't make sense, just let me know.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 12:05 

Thank you. Makes sense.