All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 11:09 

My son is very tall and unfortunately, I am out of town a lot. He borders on goofy on the court, playing with friends, not watching ball, out of shape. Poor dribbling skills, rarely shoots. Where do I start? He is seven. We just moved to a place with the appropriate sized hoop.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 11:31 

He is a little "goofy" because he is 7 years old. :-)

Be patient with him... try to get him into a league where they TEACH him how to play the game with their MAJOR GOAL being...
Kids having fun!

He needs to play and you need to allow him to grow into his body... tall kids at an early age can be uncoordinated - so let him dribble in the driveway... if you have a basket lower it so he can see some success - pass the ball to him, let him shoot... have some fun. He's a little guy.

The last thing you want to do is to turn him off the game.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 08:56 
Site Admin

I second everything Coach Sars mentions. FUN is the key for everything! You never want to burn out your child and push to hard at this age.

This might sound a little goofy, but this is something I picked up from Brian Grasso who works with youth athletes. Have him do gymnastics, soccer, swimming, and martial arts (of course, seasonally - doing all of that at once, would cause injuries by wearing him down). By the time, he's 12 or 13, you have a heck of an athlete that would succeed at anything. Now, my parents could not get me to participate in any of those sports, so you will probably have to do what the kid likes.

Other great things to help develop athletic skills: Jump rope, hopscotch, tag, flag football or touch football (I actually like touch football better because it forces the players to be more agile), juggling, obstacle courses and so on. You might pick up some other things in this article as well: http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/blog/index.php/should-we-teach-basketball-skills-to-kids-under-the-age-of-10/

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 05:33 

Dad: I hope your son does not read this site, I'd hate to think that my father thought me "bordering on goofy". Sir I feel I have license to say this because I have five children 4 boys and 1 girl all athletes. However at the ages of seven, they too were a little ....flighty...the good thing is your son is already playing on the court therefore he seems to be developing a penchant for athletics. As Joe says, let him experiment with many sports eventually, he'll find his niche. By the way, did you play basketball at some point in either high school or college. I used to play pro hockey, and tried to push my boys into it all i managed to do was turn them off it they all ended up playing other sports and my daughter ended up playing hockey. I'm sure your son will be fine. Good luck...Coach Mac

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 07:56 

A Pro Hockey player.. great.... I love that game, got hooked when Bobby Hull came up... the Hawks had some great players in that era. Had an argument about who had the hardest / fastest shot.... they say its the players of today... NO way.. it was Bobby.... about 118 mph... found it on the net and sent it to them.. had to shut them up LOL

Now I know where your toughness comes from and the PHD keeps you in check. I played a bit but that was for fun... NO WHERE near the level you played at.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 20:10 

Coach Sars: and lets not forget Tony O who i went to high school with in Sault Ste Marie Ontario...

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 20:20 

AND Glenn Hall! Both the "Espo" brothers were great.

You sure got around didn't you! My cousin and I got to a game real early, we were walking around downtairs and I wasn't watching where I was going... thought I ran into a wall, it was Bobby Hull.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 23:04 

I had a kid like that on my baseball team last spring. His dad calls me before the season and says "coach, Jack is very tall an uncorordinated. I'm 6'7" and he is going to be a giant." Kid was not a very good player at this point. Wasn't bordering on "goofy." Was flat out "goofy."

Thing is, you need to be POSITIVE. We had Jack in the dugout as we were getting to bat. He was the last batter in the lineup. Dad comes over and says "Jack, IF you get a hit make sure you hustle to first base." I look at Dad and say, "No dad, WHEN you get a hit ... " Dad says "right coach." The kid steps up and gets his first good hit. Stay positive with the boy and help him work thru his growth. Good luck.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 05:24 

Golfman: your stories are great..lol coach mac

PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 09:21 

Good stuff here. Your kid probably hears how goofy he is from all the kids. They will let him know how "bad" of a player he is, how tall he is and all. As his parent, its your job to build him up. Help him to develop confidence in himself. Spend time with him developing his skills and cheering him on. The rest will come naturally.