All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 08:17 

My daughter is 10 years old and is a very good foul shooter. She recently made it to nationals in the Elk Hoopshoot. When she shoots her foul shots she jumps and now that the contest is over and she will be turning 11 soon I was thinking it may be time to teach her to shoot free throws without jumping as there will be less moving parts to affect her shot. We've been trying it the last week or so and she does fine but still seems to maybe not be quite strong enough yet, it's tough to tell. The problem with her jumping is sometimes she struggles to not cross the line and land balanced. I'm just kind of confused right now as to continue to let her jump and shoot really good or to begin the process of a set shot. Thanks

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 15:06 

First off, congrats on your daughter making it to the nationals, that's quite a feat. These questions are tough as they really depend upon the ability of the player. Honestly, if she's making it to the nationals, that speaks for itself. I understand your concern about her jumping and you're correct, it does add one more unnecessary thing to the shot. The simple answer is have her start getting lower and using those legs a bit more. Some of this will come has she matures. At age 10, you have a lot of growing left to do.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 15:32 

Thank you!

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 13:38 

Your daughter sounds amazing. You must be so proud of her. So great to hear about girls doing so well in sports.