All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 08:53 

I recently got back into coaching high school boys basketball. I am of the old school (nice way to say I am old) and have studied the greats John Wooden, Pete Carill, Morgan Wootten, etc. The head coach I am assisting is a young man who played a little in college a few years ago. I have always taught that after screening away from the ball, you open up to the ball. He teaches that you open whichever way the "screened" person is trying to get around the screen. I see his point, but the screener loses sight of the ball and sometimes ends up with the defender between himself and the basket. Is this the new way?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 09:56 
Site Admin

Hmm. I guess I'm not totally following what he's teaching. But I do know I see lots of different ways to teach basketball. Seems every coach has a different way of doing things.

When you away screen, I see only two options for the screener...

a - if the cutter curls to the basket or rejects the screen by back cutting... the screener pops back to the ball after cutter goes past your shoulder

b - if the cutter straight cuts to the perimeter, the screener back cuts to the basket after cutter goes past your shoulder

Basically you have to go to space and maintain good spacing so you go where the cutter ain't.

BTW, we only use option A making it easier to teach so the screener always knows where to go. Works really well for us.

Now if the defense switches, I see a few different ways to handle that. If you'd like I can write that up too.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 10:04 

I guess I should have been more specific. I am talking about when the cutter uses the screen and the defense switches.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 10:35 

I have seen it done two ways on switches. I've seen the "slip" which is on a switch and the screener rim runs to the basket as soon as he hears the defense communicate switch.

The other thing I have seen is the cutter back cuts the screen on a switch, because the man assigned to guard him now starts looking at the screener and the man assigned to pick up the cutter is over top of the screen and out of position to defend the back cut.

Both work, each represents a different philosophy.

Not sure if this helps, but it is just my two cents.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 13:53 
Site Admin

With away screens on the perimeter, I see...

Cutter pops out. Screener direct cuts to basket and/or drop steps, seals, and posts up. Then look for mismatch opportunities.

Or Bob Huggins suggests: If the defense switches, call a timeout and tell players to start using switch cuts or just back cut. With a switch cut, you end up screening your own guy and the screener curls.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 07:56 

OK. But you didn't answer the question. Does the screener always drop step opening t the ball (usually drop stepping to the hoop) or is it considered ok to turn your back on the ball.

I don't quite understand the switch cut . I also couldn't find any info on the web. ???

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 08:15 

I will admit to having a little trouble picturing this in my head.

On an away screen, after setting, if you are rolling to the basket and not popping to an open perimeter area, then the two ways I have seen it taught are to either drop step and roll, or turn outside pivot and still be cutting to the basket.

I'm sorry I didn't pick up on the peculiarity of the technique you had mentioned before.

So what you are saying is that when the cutter clears my top shoulder, I'm actually either front pivoting or outside pivoting and on completion of my pivot, I'm in the space he had occupied as he came off my screen. Am I reading this correctly?

It seems a little odd. Either front pivot or back pivot make sense since they put you into the path of the defender trying to climb over or help on the screen and open you up to get to the basket quicker. But to turn into the path of the cutter doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd have to see what it looks like to make certain, but I've never really seen it taught like that.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2015, 15:46 
Site Admin

Yea I don't have video of the switch cut. I have not tried it myself. I saw it on the Huggins DVD.

This year we basically slip the screen if the defense switches (the screener direct cuts to the basket after setting screen and the cutter pops out). The screener is usually open on the cut to the basket.

Whether the screen drops steps and does a step through to get himself cutting to the basket, I don't think it matters. Kinda tough one to discuss in text.