All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 21:42 

Hey guys , I been coming on this forum off and on since my son Blake was about on the 3-4th grade. He has came along way and is now in his freshman year of high school . He is the freshman PG and JV pg . My question is when he competes vs the varsity players he plays a bit timid and he plays as if they are friends and I don't want to make them mad mixing it up and competing . It's like instead of attack mode I pass it around east and west . Instead of looking for my shot I'm content . It's like I'm not playing to win vs these guys . I have watched him enough over the years to be able to evaluate him and his mentality . Is this normal for all freshman ? What advice or words can be used to encourage them it's just basketball and just compete . By no means am I discouraged or panicked . I just want him to know its ok to mix it up and don't be scared to try to be better than your older teammate . Don't be scared to win a few battles with them . If they get mad then they need to learn a Few things . First everyone should be pushing each other to the max as that's how both get better . Ive always believed go be the best possible version of you and let it shake out from there. Any advice or comments on this adjustment period and the norm would be appreciated . Again not discouraged or panicked just looking for ways to jump mental hurdles .

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 15:43 
Site Admin

Sounds like a confidence thing. Pretty common for freshman to be nervous about playing with the older guys, especially if they haven't played together on club teams or anything. Probably more of a social dynamic and being comfortable around those kids. Can you imagine what it would be like when you were a freshman to be playing with and interacting with the juniors or seniors?

I think time and then encouragement from the coach is what will make the difference. The coach probably doesn't know what to say yet as it will take a while to get to know your son.

I agree with what you're saying... ideally that comes from the coach though. As that will hold the most weight.

I think all you can do is wait and be supportive. Add your two cents when you can without being critical. :)

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 15:26 

I agree with Jeff, this is absolutely normal. Not much to add to Jeff's post as I think he's pretty much nailed the social dynamic and being comfortable around some of the V players.

One suggestion is If he's not already playing up in the off season, I'd recommend that highly to prepare for next year.