All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 09:20 

We are going into tournaments and, as a small in height team, we are facing Giants. The teams we face have a huge height advantage. We do have some ability for three point and other outside shots, but I am wondering if there is a breakthrough basketball technique, strategy or advise somewhere I could use to help my team at least compete...I'd appreciate any assistance as we have 6 practices til tournament time. Thanks

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 15:35 
Site Admin

If you have a bunch of guards, you can spread things out with an open post offense forcing their bigs to come out and guard the perimeter. Spread things out and take a good balance of inside shots (driving to the basket) and outside shots.

Defensively you can apply pressure if you have the talent. You can deny one pass away. You can double team the first pass. You can double team every time the ball goes into the post.

Bottom line is you either need to shoot a higher percentage or figure out a way to take more shots. Since you have a small team, you probably won't out rebound them so you'll need to take care of the basketball and/or cause turnovers with pressure.

Play to your strengths and try to get them to adjust to you.. instead of the other way around.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 17:43 

This may or may not help.

When there is as definitive a height differential as what you describe, players become enamored with blocking shots. Something about little people, but they love to block shots. They tend to go a little out of their routine just to be able to stuff a shot.

Have your kids give good hard shot fakes on the perimeter, and I think you'll see the bigger teams bite on it a little more than usual.

I don't know why this is, but I've seen it with teams that have a big height advantage, they seem to let an infatuation with the shot block dominate their thinking.

Of course if they stay home, your passing up open looks to get those fakes in, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

Brian Sass