All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 18:01 

As a parent said to me last night, "Damn - what was that defense?"

I just smiled.

Most of you know I live in a small town in Alaska that eats, sleeps and breathes basketball. Last night was our first game of the season and afterwards, my phone would not stop buzzing with texts and messages about our "defensive" effort.

A little background - I did not start 2 of my normal starting 5 as they had missed three weeks of practice due to Christmas traveling. In the locker room before the game, I had told the team NOT to run the press as I just didn't feel confident in my explaining it enough during the 3 practices I had my whole team available.

Well, they ignored me and did the press anyway. I spent the first half freaking on the bench over folks being wide open in the back of the press, but my top guys were creating enough chaos that it really didn't matter. The opposing coach rotated his entire bench trying to figure out how to stop it.

What I found was profound was that no one could even tell the formation we were in, including the other team or the fans. It was mostly due to the other team not having a set press "offense"

We got up by 19 by half time and finally had to pull it back as I do not press when we are up by 20 or more.

What is quite unique is that we play the same team tonight as well. They are going to get quite a dose of ol' Haske's Uptempo system.

Oh yeah, we won 58-22 :)

Hydaburg City School District