All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 23:06 

Can you please try to clarify when it is legal to pivot after jump stopping after dribbling? When is it illegal? I think this may be one of the most misunderstood concepts by coaches, players, and even officials. There is a lot of info out there about “gathering”, “pro hops”, 2-foot landings vs “gallop” landings, and much more. Add James Harden and the “zero steps” and I’m not sure anyone knows what is traveling anymore.. Thanks.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 10:17 
Site Admin

Good question.

In regards to a traditional jump stop (you jump off one foot and then land in two)... If you terminate your dribble after you jump, then you can land on 2 feet, establish a pivot foot (either one), and pivot.

However, if you terminate your dribble before you jump, then you can land on two feet (jump stop) but you can't pivot.

When I say terminate the dribble, I mean (pick up your dribble by putting two hands on the ball). It is sometimes hard to tell in real-time if a player terminates their dribble a split second before or after they leap.

Otherwise, for the rest of the situations mentioned, you get "two" steps before you have to pass or shoot the ball before landing backing on the ground. There is some debate about when a player actually "gathers" the ball and then begins take those "two steps". The NBA obviosly gets more leeway than college and high school.

I'm not an official but based on my research from a while back that's how I understood it. Because I had the same question and thoughts... there is a lot of confusion about the subject.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 14:37 

Thanks for the response. Your definition of terminating the dribble by having two hands on the ball might be the most concise explanation I've heard. I think that is where the most confusion originates.. And like you said, that can be very hard to determine in real time. I have Coach Kelbick's Attack & Counter videos, and they are the absolute best, but I don't remember this being mentioned? I would love to see a demonstration on it..