All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2017, 13:56 

I am teaching this system to my 12 year old boys in the preseason next September. How do I teach the system. Do I start with chapter one, go through it to the end and then teach chapter two. Or do I pick from the first few chapters. I would like to teach the system for half an hour, then teach Jim Huber's M2M Defense for half an hour, half an hour to shooting and to ball handling each.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017, 07:03 
Site Admin

There are hundreds of different ways to incorporate into your practice plans. I don't think there's a right or wrong way.

When teaching the attack and counter system, you should start with basic footwork (from chapter 1) close to the basket, as Don suggests. Once players get that down, you can progress to other situations. I don't think the order after that is critical.

As you get more experienced with it, you can start mixing skills. For example, you might work on ballhandling, footwork, perimeter moves, and shooting all at the same time. There are lots of ways to mix and match. But separating out is ok too as you mentioned -- as long as it makes sense to you.

Be sure to check out page 73 of the ebook.

Overall I think you're on the right track. I recommend creating a list of "things you want to work on" in practice. Example... footwork, ballhandling, finishing, shooting, using ball screens, etc. Create an "every day list" of what you think is important. You can't do everything so create a list of what you want to do EVERY day. Then create another list you want to work on every 2nd or 3rd practice. Then you reference those lists to create your practice plans. That's what I do every year.

If you have more questions, just let us know.