All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 05:17 

Hi folks,
I'm looking for help on what to have my corner players do in this offense. If they are one pass away and basket cut, who fills their spot. If they are going to screen away, who would they most likely screen for. To this point I have had my corner players cut and replace themselves. I am looking for other options. Thanks in ad ace for any help/insights that you can share

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 07:16 

The player with the ball could dribble him out... and he could make a shallow cut and replace the guy up top..... You could dribble at him/try to split the defender and once the corners defender turns his head, make a back door cut.

Away from the ball you can back screen and step out... or you can down screen and make a curl cut depending on what the D does.

We ran our open post higher so we would have more options with our lower players.. but I hope this helps a little.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 07:17 

Hi philbymo,

I coach a 7th Grade Girls club team. We run a 5 Out motion all the time along with a M2M defense. We do not really use screen away action in our offense. We focus on pass and cut and dribble penetration. But here are the corner options we give the girls.

1) Basket cut and replace herself since it will be the only open spot.

2) If they have an advantage we allow them to post for 2 seconds. If they do not get the ball they can either ball screen or backscreen for the next cutter. We added this last year and it has been great for us! We get a lot of screen/roll action and easy layup from the backscreens.

Just a thought ... but if you want to add a screen away what about having them Flex screen for the opposite corner? I think Bob Huggins uses some Flex action in his Open Post motion.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 11:55 

Hey guys, i work allready a few years with this motion 5-out its a verry good offence but its always the same problem......SPACING, when the game starts its ok but 5 or 10 minutes later they all go togetter in the paint when we are in offence

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 17:07 

Hey Folks,
Thanks for the help. I also am coaching 7th grade girls. Your help will allow me to do more than just cut and replace.
philbymo

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 19:40 

This is all about patience and practice... they are young and just learning this game.... try to make your offense as simple as possible... a couple of my varsity teams would end up with 2 or 3 together,..... our rule was simple, if you find yourself in that position.... look, basket cut and then go to the open spot on the floor.