All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 09:52 

I bought Kebick's motion offense package to use with my 5th Grade girls team. The girls are struggling with communicating withe each other in terms of the players knowing whether they should be setting or receiving a pick. What do you think about allowing the girls to use hand signals with each other (so they're still reading and reacting on their own)? any other ideas to help on this front? thanks!

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 10:14 
Site Admin

I believe that communication is key. It needs to be early. For example, if you pass the ball, make a quick and decisive decision you are going to screen away. Call out your screen (Susie screen) and use a fist immediately after you pass. That way the other player knows you are setting a screen.

Also, just practicing pieces of your offense helps a lot. Take one or two pieces you want to use. Practice it in 2v0 situation. Maybe 3v0. Then add defense. It can be dummy defenders or live defenders.

Players will start recognizing those situations in game play and figure out what other players will do.

Lastly, emphasize spacing. Urge players to keep space. Space. Space. Space. Space.

If you have great spacing and ball movement (which requires player movement), that's 90% of the battle. The rest is skill and fundamental concepts. Players are gonna make mistakes and get confused. That's ok. Just emphasize spacing and ball movement. If they two players screen for each other, oh well. Just space out and keep playing.