All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 16:51 

It has been a long time since I sent you an email but as you know my name is Jumaul and I am 5 foot 7 and I am 14 years old. At first I could not touch the back board same age same height but now I can hold the ring same age same height. The only problem I have now is dunking. I want to dunk but there is no one here to train me, my coach had to go away to study. So I was wondering if you could help me. Please help me.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 11:11 

Jumual,
It seems like you have increased your vertical leap a lot. This is good. Let me ask you, can you palm the ball? Hard to dunk IF you cant do that. While dunking is flashy, it doesn't mean you can play the game. I had a sophomore kid (15) that could dunk.. maybe 5'10"... started him because he seemed athletic, but he lost that role quickly because there were a lot of other things he couldn't do.

What are your goals for the game of basketball? This is where you should start. Being able to handle the ball, passing, reading defenses, having a short ranger jump shot, decent at shooting threes, GREAT from the free throw line... and this should go without saying... being able to DEFEND!
Tell us a little more about yourself and basketball abilities.

Here are a few sites related to improving vertical jumping:
http://www.verticaljumpworkout.com/
http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... nt_to.html

If you do a search on the internet you will find several sites.. I might suggest to be careful with heavy weights at your age. IF you are working with someone, make sure that he knows what he is doing. AND, I hope that he is working on the rest of the game with you. Good luck.
Coach Sar