All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 10:02 

Alan, this is my first year coaching and my 8th grade tea recently finished our season. They will be freshman next year with a possibility of 1 or 2 moving up to JV if they work hard. Regardless I may be their 9th grade coach next year and want to introduce them into strength and conditioning for many of reasons.

My question is how do I get them to buy into the idea because I can tell most o them are intimidated by the idea of lifting or aren't motivated to do so Its hard for me to grasp because I was so motivated and wanted to do anything I had to do to get better and stronger to have a competitive advantage.

I dont want to overwhelm them because many play other sports which strongly encourage but many think they don't have to work in the offseason to get better

Thanks
CJ

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 10:45 

Thanks for your question CJ, I appreciate you reaching out and for utilizing BB forum! You are right on point too... this is the ideal age to get your players started with a strength & conditioning program.

You hit the nail on the head... you do NOT want to overwhelm them. You want their first impression of proper basketball strength & conditioning to be very positive.

The best way to get them to buy in is to make the program fun and engaging. That has always been my main priority when working with younger players. Show them that while training is hard work... it can be fun too!

In addition to fun, you want to make sure you implement some structure and lay a solid foundation... so they create sound work habits from the beginning. Which means you want to consistently address a proper warm-up, movement preparation and dynamic flexibility, age appropriate strength/plyo exercises and modalities, as well as basketball specific agility and conditioning drills.

Let me know if you need any further help!

Alan Stein
www.StrongerTeam.com

Alan Stein is the owner of Stronger Team and the Strength & Conditioning coach for the Montrose Christian Mustangs boy’s basketball program, McDonald’s All American game, Jordan Brand All American Classic, and the Nike Summer Skills Academies.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 11:46 

Another thought or question about weight training for girls. I coach a high school girls varsity team, just completed my first year. I want to start an off-season weight and conditioning porgram. Do I need to have a different weight program for girls than from what the boys have?

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 12:15 

" Which means you want to consistently address a proper warm-up, movement preparation and dynamic flexibility, age appropriate strength/plyo exercises and modalities, as well.."

Alan, do you have anything I can get ideas from. I strongly agree with your points here but as a first year coach I'm not sure where to start especially making it age appropriate.

Thank you again,
CJ

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 13:41 

CJ, I have several resources that you will find very helpful... in the form of DVDs and downloadable documents. Drop me an email at Alan@StrongerTeam.com and I will be happy to assist you!

Alan

Alan Stein is the owner of Stronger Team and the Strength & Conditioning coach for the Montrose Christian Mustangs boy’s basketball program, McDonald’s All American game, Jordan Brand All American Classic, and the Nike Summer Skills Academies.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 13:45 

As far as the difference between training males and females... 95% of the programming is the same... but I highly recommend emphasizing a few additional exercises (and concepts) with the females for ACL injury prevention (females are 5-8 times more likely to suffer an ACL injury).

With my females I emphasize proper landing/cutting technique, deceleration, and strengthening their entire lower body (from their ankles to their hips)... many times unilaterally (one leg at a time).

Feel free to email me if you need more specifics!

Alan Stein
www.StrongerTeam.com

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 10:40 

Alan,
First off, thank your your time. Is strength training the same as weight training? Also for girls, developing the lower body would agility drills, running, jumping, work better than weights?

Thank you,
Shawn

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 10:54 

Absolutely my pleasure. I am honored and thankful to be a part of this forum and appreciate BB letting me contribute.

Yes, strength training is the same as weight training. I prefer the term "strength training" because you can build strength in a myriad of ways without using weights (such as bodyweight exercises). Plus the entire goal is to build STRENGTH!

Strength training needs to be a major component in the program (especially for females). Agility, jumping, etc. are important as well... but it all starts with building the proper foundation through proper strength training.

Hope that helps!

Alan Stein
www.StrongerTeam.com
Alan@StrongerTeam.com

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 21:21 

Coach Stein, i'm a freshman right now and my season just ended. i was wondoring if you could give me a good strength training program for this off season. Also can i get some drills to help improve my lateral quickness for defence?

Thanks

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 05:31 

I appreciate your message and for using this outstanding forum. However, it is beyond the scope of this forum for me to outline an entire program for the off season. Please visit http://Shop.StrongerTeam.com for several outstanding off-season training resources.

As far as a top notch strength and plyometric program, I highly recommend my M.V.P. training program. The DVD and printable workout chart is a 12 week strength and plyo program designed to improve overall strength, power, and explosiveness. It also includes sections for dynamic flexibility as well as a basketball core workout. It is exactly what a player needs to become more explosive! The program is designed to be repeated after each 12 week segment is completed.

You may also want to check out http://Blog.StrongerTeam.com as well as subscribe to my YouTube channel as I will be posting a ton of great content every week. Check it out at www.YouTube.com/StrongerTeamDotCom. And if you want daily updates and motivational quotes, follow me on www.Twitter.com/AlanStein.

Please let me know if you need anything else! Just email me directly at Alan@StrongerTeam.com. I am happy to help!

Alan Stein
www.StrongerTeam.com