All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 09:49 
Site Admin

dw811,

Alan has some great products that you can definitely take a look at.

One thing to also keep in mind is that you can have the best strength training program in the world, but it won't do a thing for you unless you're moving efficiently. Actually, if you're NOT moving efficiently, it could even cause injury.

Can you squat, lunge, push, pull, bend, rotate properly, jump, hop, skip, bound, crawl properly? If you can't, it's like trying to build the eiffel tower on toothpicks. You need that solid foundation before you can start the big stuff like heavy weight-training and high-intensity plyos.

Can you squat with thighs near parallel to the ground, feet flat, butt out, with your back straight, neck & shoulders above the toes, chest up, head up, knees over the feet (no caving in) while maintaining good posture?

If not, you might have to do some hip strengthening and flexibility work. Some calf strengthening & flexibility work. You need to do be able to do a body-weight squat before you add weight.

This is just one example.

I really like the Physical Competence Test by Kelvin Giles to see where you need to improve before you start unleashing the big guns. Vern Gambetta recommended this and I follow Vern very closely when it comes to Athletic Development.

Also, try to look at this as a 4-year plan.

Year 1 - Get moving properly and handling your body-weight.
Year 2- Develop a base through strengh training.
Year 3 - Continue strength training.
Year 4 - Add high-intensity plyos if ready. That still might be too early or you might be ready earlier.

You also might to contact an expert in your area. And most of all, EDUCATE YOURSELF!! I made the mistake of trying to jump to year 4 as a Freshmen. Now, I'm trying to fix all of the issues I created from my bad trainnig in high school and college.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 11:35 

All excellent points Joe!

Alan Stein
www.StrongerTeam.com

Alan Stein is the owner of Stronger Team and the Strength & Conditioning coach for the Montrose Christian Mustangs boy’s basketball program, McDonald’s All American game, Jordan Brand All American Classic, and the Nike Summer Skills Academies.