All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 15:45 

Thanks. I want some help in basketball weight training.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 08:33 

My name is Alan Stein and I am a professional basketball strength and conditioning coach (www.StrongerTeam.com - bio below). I am here to help in any way possible with advice and thoughts on safe, time efficient, and proper training for basketball players of all ages and levels. I am honored and the thankful to be a part of Breakthrough Basketball!

You can reach me through this fantastic forum or directly at Alan@StrongerTeam.com.

Train hard. Train Smart.

Alan Stein
www.StrongerTeam.com
www.Twitter.com/AlanStein

Alan Stein is the owner of Stronger Team and the Head Strength & Conditioning coach for the nationally renowned, Nike Elite Montrose Christian Mustangs boy’s basketball program. Alan is a performance consultant for Nike Basketball as well heavily involved with Nike SPARQ Basketball. He is the head conditioning coach for the annual McDonald’s All American game, the Jordan Brand All American Classic, and the Nike Summer Skills Academies. Alan is a Camp Coach at the prestigious NBA Player’s Association’s Top 100 Camp as well as the Chris Paul CP3 Elite Backcourt Camp. Alan has filmed over a dozen DVD’s on improving performance and is a sought after lecturer at basketball camps and clinics across the world. He has been featured in Winning Hoops, Time Out, Dime, SI.com, SLAMonline.com, American Basketball Quarterly, Stack, Men’s Health, and FIBA Assist Magazine.

Alan Stein is the owner of Stronger Team and the Strength & Conditioning coach for the Montrose Christian Mustangs boy’s basketball program, McDonald’s All American game, Jordan Brand All American Classic, and the Nike Summer Skills Academies.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 17:21 

Alan, I coach in a Sixth grade Christian school league. I have only 6 sith graders and fill in with fifth graders. In our area, the YMCA league, the City league and the County league all have fourth grade and up shooting at 10 ft goals. So the younger players learn to hurl the ball with both hands sort of sidesaddle.
I have shooting clinics, but it is hard to get then to change what they have been successful at in the past. I have them shoot against the wall after taking the off hand off the ball.
I have also had them use a medicine ball (4lb) to develop strength.

What can I do to improve strength for shooting?

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 07:35 

Thanks for your post, I appreciate you reaching out. You certainly raise an excellent question! Here are my thoughts:

1) Continue to teach proper shooting fundamentals EVERY practice. Form shooting, etc. Proper mechanics can only develop through hours and hours of repetition. They are at the PERFECT age to learn. You should try changing a high school players form!! At Montrose Christian (where Kevin Durant went to HS), we start every practice with 5 minutes of form shooting.

2) Do NOT allow your players to shoot from outside of 15' (free throw line). All shots should come from the lane area, short corners, and baseline. The further away they try to shoot from, the more their lack of strength will affect them, and the more they will have to resort to their old methods of chucking it up. I know that will be hard... because everyone... from 4th grade to the NBA is infatuated with the 3 point line!

3) The strength in their shot will come over time... as they get older, grow taller/stronger, hone the correct shooting technique, etc. I do NOT recommend using a medicine ball as it will adversely effect their shooting mechanics. The best thing to do is have them start on a bodyweight strength regiment of a variety of push-ups, pull-ups (modified if need be), dips, etc. Also make sure they do exercises for the lower body... bodyweight squats, lunges, and step-ups. Shooting is actually a full body skill!

I hope this helps!

Alan Stein
www.StrongerTeam.com

Alan Stein is the owner of Stronger Team and the Strength & Conditioning coach for the Montrose Christian Mustangs boy’s basketball program, McDonald’s All American game, Jordan Brand All American Classic, and the Nike Summer Skills Academies.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 10:19 

Alan, thanks, Ron

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 12:25 

That is a GREAT post Alan... some excellent information for youth coaches. Welcome aboard this great forum.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 12:32 

Absolutely my pleasure! I am happy to help. I am very passionate about basketball and about strength & conditioning... and honored to be a part of this forum.

Alan Stein
www.StrongerTeam.com

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 19:52 

Alan: great to have you aboard, I coach professional women in Hong Kong now its certainly not the WNBA but its a fairly good brand of basketball. I am in the second year of my contract with this team and we struggle with only one team. In fact we have never beaten them they are just that much more stronger than we are. I have spoken to my team about weight conditioning and training off season but am having a difficult time selling the concept. It seems as if the ladies don't want to alter or add muscle mass to their bodies. can you help thanks Coach Mac.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 07:05 

Thanks for your message Coach Mac. Sounds like you have a great situation going on! I would love to hear more about your experience in Hong Kong.

Your players need to understand the benefits that added strength and power will bring to their game! It will give them the potential to do everything better on the court... run faster, block out harder, jump higher, and defend quicker. They also need to understand they can add strength without necessarily adding muscle mass. It has been my experience that women HATE the words "muscle mass"... because they picture a grotesque bodybuilder. Your players need to understand they can increase their strength and power, yet still remain very feminine and beautiful. They also need to realize, that when a player dedicates themselves to getting stronger and more powerful... they will usually lose a few pounds of unnecessary body fat in the process (something most female players would love!). So in essence, all they are doing is changing the composition of their body... not their weight. If they gain 3 lbs. of muscle and lose 3 lbs. of body fat, they will weigh the exact same as they did before! Yet, they will appear trimmer and more athletic (a "sexier" look) because muscle takes up less space than body fat. Does that make sense? In other words, a proper strength program will help your ladies look better, feel better, and play better! A win-win-win!

And a proper strength program is one that is basketball specific and uses appropriate weights and rep ranges.

You may also want to check out http://Blog.StrongerTeam.com as well as subscribe to my YouTube channel as I will be posting a ton of great content every week. Check it out at www.YouTube.com/StrongerTeamDotCom. And if you want daily updates and motivational quotes, follow me on www.Twitter.com/AlanStein.

I hope this helps. Please keep in touch and let me know if you need anything else!

Alan Stein
www.StrongerTeam.com

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 17:52 

Alan: thanks so much for your eloquent reply. Yours in basketball Coach Mac