All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 12:18 

Hey. I know that line drills(for example, jumping side to side on a line), are good for foot speed and quickness, but I have a question. Since there is no gym within about 10 miles of me, everything I do to get better is done at home, so can I do line drills on my concrete driveway,because there isn't really any other place for me do it,and I don't like doing it on grass? I mean, can doing those drills on concrete possibly hurt my feet? I don\'t think they would, but I am just wondering. The same question applies to other exercises, such as agility ladder,jump rope,etc.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 12:21 

I prefer to stay away from concrete when training for anything, because it can wear done your body more quickly than other surfaces. If you can find another one, I would use it.

You could always try doing it somewhere in a house if you can.

Also, I actually do some of the same exercises on the carpet in my bare feet. It helps strengthen all of the little muscles in your foot that are vital to being explosive.

Best of Luck!

Joe Haefner
Breakthrough Basketball LLC

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 15:45 

Hello, let me start off by saying that i'm 33 years old and have been involved in athletics my entire life. I was also a professional lifeguard with the County of Los Angeles for 13 years. I am still athletic and talented, but my agility has flown out of the window.

I say this because I have abused and withered my body away from improper technique and bad decisions I made when I was much younger. I was quite agile and didn't need to stretch out for a game, didn't care if it was concrete, didn't know I would pay dearly later in life. I just ran, swam, jumped to my hearts content.

Although you can probably get away with it if you have no other options, all the little things that don't seem like a big deal add up over time and take a toll on the body. I would advise against it IMHO.

May I suggest a piece of carpet you can lay on the concrete. That way you will still have the explosiveness of the concrete that you would lack doing it on grass?

I am currently in week 4 out of an 8 week recovery from a high ankle sprain. Thank goodness I didn't break it rolling my ankle coming off of a rebound stepping on someone's foot. Maybe if I took care of myself better when I was younger it might not have happened. Then again it's basketball so i'll never really know. One thing's for sure, if you take care of yourself now your future self will thank you.