All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 May 2014, 13:49 

Hi..

I can easily shoot close-range and mid-range shots with a good shooting form... But when I move beyond the three point line, I cann't maintain a good shooting form and if I try, the ball falls short of the rim...
Which muscle groups should I work on, to have enough strength to hit three pointers without disturbing my shooting form??
Regards!

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 06:22 
Site Admin

Depending how old you are? And are you still growing?

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 10:34 

I'm 17...

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 05:42 
Site Admin

For increasing strength you should work on all muscle groups and focus on functional movements. With that said you can put an emphasis on your legs and core.

Now if you have energy leaks and/or you jump and shoot at the top of your shot, maybe just as you start on your way down, then legs probably won't help much because you're losing all that energy because of the way you shoot.

Every shot is different so it's impossible to say what is happening with yours.

You might be losing energy and need to work on coordinating all your body movements to get enough inertia for the ball to get to the basket.

And I'm sure you just need a lot more practice. Just practicing and slowly moving out helps. You can try to move out 6 inches every 45 days or so. Once you master a shot about 6 inches past your range and you start consistently hitting a very high percentage. Then you can move out a tad more. It's a slow process and you need to take your time moving out.

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 05:59 

Thanks....

PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 13:16 

Be great to see a quick vid if you can do it. Usually legs would be my first answer. I watch kids move further out and they tend to shoot more straight up and down vs. getting their butt down forcing more leg action. I'd recommend trying to use more legs when shooting further out. If not, you'll tend to force the shot with your arms/hands.

I really like Jeff's idea of moving out a bit at a time. Have someone film you from the side and I bet you'll see you're not getting low enough as you move further out.