All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2014, 05:40 

Hi..
Is it advisable for a basketball player to engage in weight lifting and intense strength training?
Someone told me that strength training makes a player bulky and slow.. Is it true??

Regards,
-Ali-

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2014, 15:18 

I'm not sure what you mean by "intense strength training" but I think it is advantageous for athletes to engage in proper strength training and weight lifting. I'm sure there are others on here than can advise on a proper weight lifting routine for a basketball player.

When I was in high school our basketball program didn't really subscribe to a weight training program, but those of us who played football would adhere to our football program's offseason weight lifting schedule. I remember my sophmore year an assistant coach commented to me how it was clear the weight lifting and strength training was helping as I was able to absorb contact much better and finish drives at the hoop more effectively.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2014, 19:46 

I agree with coachmt, depending on the age of the player. Take a look at Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Blake Griffin. Having said that, these guys are working on speed and agility at the same time. So, I'd say keep it balanced and don't concentrate on just one or two areas.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 12:13 

Actually I am a point guard so I was wondering if weight lifting would tarnish my agility...

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 11:19 

a.razarahi1006 wrote:
Actually I am a point guard so I was wondering if weight lifting would tarnish my agility...
I think you would have to do some serious weight lifting for it to have an affect on your agility. I'm not a advocate of lifting weights at younger ages. I think once you hit high school and have someone who can properly train/supervise, you should be fine.