All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 20:47 

I have been training hard. I have been lifting weights and increasing my anaerobic endurance. I have been working on both my game, and my basketball IQ. I am working towards being a sort of 'renaissance' man, someone who has great all-around skills. The problem: I got into this sport late, and I do not have any background in what will be expected of me "behind the scenes" if I were to make a team. The only basketball games I have ever played have been just pick-up games at different rec centers and parks. No coaches, no practice.

I'm not here to be told that it is a tall order to make a college squad as a walk-on without any previous experience. I know this already.

I am, though, looking for an idea as to what I can expect on try-out day for a division I team. I can imagine that I would be scrimmaging and running drills, but what exactly would coaches put prospective players through to see if they can make the cut?

Also, what is a good base level of skill that coaches would be willing to work with? For example, a coach might be willing to take in a potential player because his shooting is at 40% and he might choose to work with this player because he believes he could improve this to 45%-50% through training, thus adding a decent shooter to his roster.

I know this post is hefty. And for that I apologize. But! If you have read through all this then I thank you and hope that you will respond. I've asked a few questions in this forum already and really love the answers so far.

Thanks,

Buddy H

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2012, 12:05 

Buddy -

"I'm not here to be told that it is a tall order to make a college squad as a walk-on without any previous experience. I know this already.:

You are asking a D1 College Coach to take a chance on someone who hasn't played competitive ball... thats MORE than a tall order.

My suggestion for you is this... IF you are serious about playing college ball.... go try out for a Community College / Junior College team and see how that goes for you. IF you have GAME, they will find a spot for you on their team, you get to prove yourself and hopefully find a 4 year school to play at.

IF I were you, I would get in touch with a college coach in your area and ask him some of these questions. You might get a better idea.

Jeff & Joe.. what are your thoughts.... maybe Coach Mac and Don Kellick could offer some advice here also.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2012, 14:07 

Yes, like I said, I know this already. I am already well into my academic career at a four-year university, so moving to another school is not an option. And I do have game. It may not sound like much, but I play against friends who played in high school all four years. They are no push overs but I do beat them without formal training and without committing fouls and the such against them. I know HOW to play the game, I just have not had a coach.

I have very little exposure to the caliber of a collegiate athlete, but I know that I would not be a pushover in a scrimmage against them. I'm not asking "can I get in?", I'm asking "What can I expect?" so that I can train towards new goals. I will be trying out every year until I have no more chances.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2012, 14:41 

Ok, I'm trying to figure out what part of your education you are in..... so, every coach is different, they look for different things according to what their needs are. As far as what drills, thats up to the coaches too.

IF you can handle the ball, find the open man and make a solid pass.. be able to defend and shoot well..... thats a start.

Why don't you go watch them practice / workout at the school you are at? That would give you a good idea as to what you are looking for. Talk to some of the players ... one of the other problems you might run in to is how they word their drills / plays / fundamentals. Every college coach is different... I coached at the high school level so I really don't know what they do at the beginning of their season fundamental wise. I think that when guys step on the college floor it is taken for granted that they can dribble, pass, shoot and defend.

I went to a pre season Northwestern U. practice with Kevin O'neal... I learned some new words lol... but the things they were doing was going over all their sets, inbounds plays, press offense and then they scrimmaged. Obviously they must have done some fundamental work at a different time.

Another thing you could do is go watch the local high schools practice, see what they are doing. I think high school coaches do more teaching (fundmentals )than some of the college guys.

Maybe Jeff, Joe, Coach Mac and Don Kellbick could give you more insight... sorry I couldn't be of more help.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2012, 20:06 

Buddy: I coach pro basketball presently, but I have coached University and in all my years, I have had only one walk on make my squad. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not writing you to discourage you from your goal, that has just been my experience. You talk about basketball I.Q. and I have heard this term battered around many times, however, what does it mean to you? In my humble opinion, you can only gain basketball I.Q. from experience and as you stated, you have none.

I had walk on tryouts every season and what I did was run a couple of drills, then I scrimmaged. But I was always looking for a specific position to supplement my roster. In other words, if I was weak at guard, I was looking for that if I needed some beef at the forward position, then I looked for that. However, the walkons scrimmaged against my scholarship athletes because I only wanted to see how they did against the best the university had to offer, not against a bunch of scrubs. Many players can shoot the ball, but without that fundamental base, without that experience of playing time, without ever feeling the pain of a loss or the joy of a big win, it is highly improbable that you can completely skip one level and jump to the next level and be successful. Playing rec ball doesn't give you those feelings. If you lose a rec game, "so what, who cares" you just shower and go home.

I get the feeling you want someone to give you the answer YOU want to hear, well, if you don't like the answer don't ask the question. Instead of asking, go and talk to the coach and find out if he offers walk on tryouts. If he does, then try out, that's the only way you will ever know if you are good enough, Good Luck Coach Mac

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2012, 23:28 

Wow that's pretty incredible to be coaching pro basketball. Thanks for taking the time to respond to this. Basketball I.Q. to me, is knowing exactly what to do in very particular situations. This could be a particular play against a particular defense, or understanding what can be done for force a certain situation. It could even be what move to put on a player based on what they are doing. I.Q. is knowing what game to play and when to play it.

I mentioned that I do not have any collegiate experience, yes. But this is the case for every aspiring athlete who wants to play in college. I do, however, have experience playing the game. I play different positions and I have people who I have built chemistry with which in turn make us better team mates. The only aspect of the basketball experience that I have not experienced is that of a coach telling me what to do.

Playing rec games do give me the feeling of big wins and hard losses. I play intramural 5 on 5 and when the going gets tough, you want nothing more than a win. In a single elimination tournament, there is no place on the team for someone to take the game nonchalantly.To beat every team and get that trophy.. That is the destination. I feel it. I want it. But sometimes things don't go as planned and you get stuck thinking about it a longer time than from the distance from the court to the shower. I only say this to vaguely illustrate that I am not just some guy who has suddenly decided to play basketball. This is a sport I want to be the best in, like many others I'm sure. My heart wants to win every game, and when that happens, in a word, it sucks.

That's interesting that you pit the walk-ons against your best athletes. This is the kind of info I'm looking for! Scrimmaging against scholarship athletes..That is one heck of a try-out!

Thanks again Coach Mac for taking the time to respond. Even just the tid-bit about the scholarship athletes is a little more to think about with tryouts getting closer every day.

Buddy H

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2012, 23:32 

Coach Sar,

Actually, this is pretty helpful. I sort of just assumed that practices are off limits to the public, but I don't know that for sure. Perhaps I can go watch practices, be it collegiate or high school.

Thank you!

Buddy H

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2012, 23:32 

Coach Sar,

Actually, this is pretty helpful. I sort of just assumed that practices are off limits to the public, but I don't know that for sure. Perhaps I can go watch practices, be it collegiate or high school.

Thank you!

Buddy H

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 07:32 

Buddy -

At least then you will have a good idea as to what to expect by watching their practices.

Coach Mac gave you some good advice also..... good luck, never give up your dream.

I never played the game and I became a head coach of a pretty big high school... that was my dream after working with 6-8th graders for 13 years. I was 4'11 when I entered high school - not much room on a bball team for a kid my size IF there are a lot of big kids out there..... so it CAN be done..... not an easy task for you, but stranger things have happened. You could be that diamond in the rough.... and hopefully the coach will notice it. I had a few kids that wanted to walk on and the head coach wouldn't let them.... By the time this one kid was a junior and he had shooting contest with the guy and he was upset that he didn't listen to me or that boy.

Give it a shot, what do you have to lose?