All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 09:42 

What is the best way to beat each position on the floor? For example, to beat a center, speed is the most important tool one use (to me). Or another example, a shooting guard has the most trouble scoring against "this" kind of player.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 09:50 
Site Admin

I don't think you should classify by "position". I think it just depends on the player. You might face an undersized center who is extremely athletic this week, next week you might face a tall center that is also very athletic (Joakim Noah) and can block shots, and next week you face a big center that is really slow. Generally centers are bigger and have trouble moving their feet on defense and guarding on the perimeter. But it just depends on the league you are in and the teams you are facing.

I think you just scout the teams you are facing and base that stuff on your scouring report. I also think you develop players to their strengths (if a player is slow footed you can't suddenly get them blowing by any center). I think you play YOUR game and get as good as you can. Make them play you, not the other way around.

Those are just some initial thoughts that come to mind.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 10:26 

Buddy -

Are you a player or a coach? What level? Seems to me that you might be overthinking the game.... ??? A lot of coaches will tell you that IF you have to think too much, you will have slow feet. Prepare yourself in practice and then go play / have fun.

Play to your strengths .... don't worry so much about the other player. Like Jeff said, the scouting report will tell you what the other team does, strenghts and weaknesses of their defense and hopefully their players.

Once you get in the game you will get a better feel for what you can or cannot do against them or your defender. If you are a starter you will get the feel as the game progresses.... if you are a sub, go to school on what they are doing on the floor. You might be able to pick out something that you can take advantage of.;