All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 09:03 

You hear pros say the game is slowed down for them all the time. When I play it seems like the game goes too fast. Is there any tips on how to "slow the game down".

Thanks,
Ben

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 11:49 

I take it that you are talking about the game in your mind.....

Thats kind of like pro baseball players saying they can "see the ball better" - they are in a zone and are comfortable with they are doing... they see the rotation on the ball better etc.

As you move up levels Ben, the game gets faster, kids are stronger, quicker and better..... and as you get more comfortable with what you are doing, your game will slow down in your mind.

Relax a little bit and play to YOUR strengths - and have some CONFIDENCE in yourself. I don't think that you would have moved up this far IF the coaches didn't think that you had "game."

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 14:01 

Ok, I remember Coach Kelbick posting something about perspectives. Does slowing the game down have anything to do with that?

Thanks,
Ben

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 18:49 

Let's see what Coach K, Jeff and Joe have to add to this string...

I wont try to put words in his mouth.... a lot of the time we look at things from a different perspective.

I tell you things that worked for the kids in my program.... they all have different experiences.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2011, 06:38 
Site Admin

When it comes to slowing down the game, there are two ways that I know of...

1 - You make practice difficult and very fast, so games seem easy. You overload in practice. You can do 2 ball dribbling drills twice as fast and twice as hard as you might see in games. You have to stretch yourself life a rubber band and be willing to fail in practice. If your coach wants you to be able to run 60% speed coming off a screen, catching, going into your forward pivot and shooting to make the shot. In other words you are running, catching, and immediately/quickly going into your shot. Not easy to do for young kids and unskilled players. Well if you need to do that 60% speed in games, you'll need to practice at 80% of your full speed. You go faster in practices than in games.

2 - Learn to clear your mind, relax your mind, and get "in the zone". You can do this via meditation, being organized, yoga, etc. I have to go to a clinic and don't have time to write out all the details of how to do that (maybe you can research it) but that is the second way I know how to slow down the game. Your brain gets super focused in an alpha state, and everything slows down for you.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2011, 07:26 

Ben,

Jeff has given you some good advice here.... I really like the part where you push yourself in practice to play faster so that when game time comes... its easier. We always told our players that practices will be twice as hard as games, so when the games come, you wont be in a panic mode - you will just react.
Example, working against the press or running our open post offense, we worked against 6 defenders... forcing them to push themselves more and think ahead of the D.
Being in the zone is what I was talking about previously.... Jeff is giving you a few ways of accomplishing that. Good luck and I hope that his suggestions will help you.