All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 08:59 

Hello!
I'm a 14 years old High School player. I play as a Point Guard most of the time, but when the other Point guard is in too, I play as Shooting Guard.
... The city league will start next week, and I wanna clear a doubt. As I play on the perimeter and most time as a guard, what should I think of doing first ? Shoot (I have a pretty decent shoot)? Drive to the rim (I think that penetrating is what I'm best at, as my coach says that I'm very good at it)? or pass ? I'm asking this because I don't want to look selfish by shooting/driving too much, but I do want to score many points too, leading to my team victory.
So.. Think Shot first? Think Drive first ? or Think pass first ?

Regards,
Chelton

PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 09:29 

Talk to your coach and ask him what he would like to see you improve on this summer.... Drving to the basket..... shooting the perimeter shot or being a better passer.... that should lead you in the right direction.

I can tell you this.... that your teammates are important to you and the team..... Michael Jordon didn't win any championships until he got the rest of the team more involved..... make sure you get them involved.... if you are having one of those "cant miss" games, shoot the ball.... if you are having problems with your shot, take the ball to the basket and get to the free throw line, that will help you work on your shot mechanics..... and yes, dump it off or kick it out if someone else is wide open.

Play to your strengths and work on your weaknesses.

PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 10:07 

Thanks for replying! Now it is clear. I should do one of these more depending on the game situation from what I understood.
Oh, and tomorrow its the first city league game, I'll let you know how it was.

Chelton.

PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 10:49 

Whatever is working for you.... good luck Chelton!

PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 11:15 

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: 21 May 2011, 11:22 

This city leauge champ wasn't what I thought. We just had 2qtr, 15min each, so the whole game had just 30min. Because of the lack of time and too many players, there were 2groups: one for the 1st qtr and other for 2nd qtr. I played at the 1st. On this play we were putting the ball more on the low post, so I didn't score any point (time was little too) --' , but made 2 assists. So, didn't like it too much. But the summer league is coming next month I think, so there'll be more playing time (I hope).

PS: I think that maybe a "Journal" section on the forums would be helpful. The players would have a place to post about their games and training, etc. ^o)

Chelton

PostPosted: 21 May 2011, 11:42 

Patience my boy, Patience. The summer league will be a better test of your talents... in the mean time... go play against some older and better guys... that will force you to step up your game. AND, work on your weaknesses... become a better all around player.

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 06:45 

Thanks for the advices ! :)
Possibly today it'll be scrimmage. We'll try and play better.

,Chelton

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 07:05 

Chelton,

Just do the best you can... keep working on your game, you have all summer to work on your weaknesses and perfect the strong parts of your game.

By the way, set some goals for yourself... what you want to accomplish this summer... then ask yourself, how am I going to accomplish this?

Let us know how its going.

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 13:48 

Well, today it wasn't scrimmage as I expected, we were shooting around. Well, the ball my partner picked was slippery, and I wasn't well warmed up, so it was a bad shooting day (most of the missed shoots were going left because I wasn't releasing well the ball and didn't have a good arc too, due to the slippery ball). But on Saturday we'll be shooting around again, this time I'll take note of the shoots taken and made, and will pick a good ball. ;) Tomorrow I'll work on my shooting line at home.

About the goals, maybe: Improve shooting percentage to 40% at least, Be a hard guard to defend/develop great handling & dribble and increase passing accuracy.
How to accomplish: Drill, Practice, Drill. Will use drills & exercises of Better Basketball Better Shooting, Handling, Offence & passing. Spending more time on Shooting and Handling. And some drills from here and coach's clipboard too.

,Chelton