All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 15:28 

During my last tournament I had a lot of opportunities to pull up fo jumpshots instead of the floater. When pulling up I always feel like the defender will come behind me and block my shot. Is there any way to avoid this?

Thanks,
Ben

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 04:58 

Ben,

Let me ask you this... is this just a feeling or did he actually block the shot from behind?

Have some confidence in your abilities.... a lot of time (and especially at your age) shot blockers foul more than they really block the shot. We told our playes to challenge the shot - hoping to force the shooter to adjust what he does - that alone can make him miss... and our rule was - NEVER FOUL THE JUMP SHOOTER. Use this to your advantage and don't worry about your shot being blocked. IF you are open, fire away. DON'T let them get into your head.

How are things going at camp?

Don't try to over think the game or your shot, everything should come as second nature ... and yes, you are young and still learning about the game but you have had a lot of experience and I know that you work hard at your game. Play the game and let the chips fall where they may... as long as you aren't making a lot of mental mistakes, you will be fine.

Remember, there are baseball players making millions failing 70-75% of the time. ( I only wish that I could have been so lucky ) :-)

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 08:57 

It is more a feeling, especially when I beat my man and I have to stop and pop because of the big man stepping up.

Ben

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 11:36 

Don't try to overthink the game Ben, just play, get your shot off and IF your shots are getting blocked A LOT .... then make an adjustment.... otherwise just play...... and have some fun while your at it.

Oh yeah, and IF a big man steps UP, dump the ball off to his man.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 06:11 

Ben,

I found this articleabout BECOMING A GREAT POINT GUARD that you might be interested in... hope all is going well, your season will be starting soon, Good luck!

FOUR KEYS TO BECOMING A GREAT POINT GUARD

by

Chris Capko
Assistant Basketball Coach
Stetson University

You will often hear coaches refer to their point guard as a “coach on the floor” or the “quarterback” of the team. You will also hear coaches refer to their guard play as being the reason their team was so successful. Point guards have more responsibility than any other player on the floor. A good point guard should account for many jobs that statistics just do not cover.

Away from the obligatory physical basketball skills that point guards must perfect, there are a number of other mental skills that are required for this position.

1. Pace and recognition of time and score.

These compliment each other and are two of the most important mental qualities a good point guard should have.

A good point guard plays at a steady pace, never getting out-of-control. They know when to turn up the pace and run as well as slow things down. The pace is generally dictated by the time and score of the game as well as that particular coach’s basketball philosophy. As simple as this sounds, too many times you will see a guy push the basketball and run when it is simply not needed or get out of control and make a bad decision because they don’t have a proper feel for the pace of the game.

It is as equally important for a point guard to always know the time and score of the game. There’s two minutes left in the game and your team is down ten, the point guard must recognize this and push the pace looking to get quicker scores. What if your team is up 4 with two minutes to go? The point guard must recognize this and set up a play to burn some clock and get the shot your team needs. Too many times young point guards lose track of this.

2. On offense a point guard should know every spot of every play within the team’s offense.

A play cannot be initiated or run correctly if every player is not in the correct spot. Point guards must recognize this and get their teammates in the correct spots. They should also know where their teammates are, who the play is run for, and how he prefers to receive the ball. Does my center feel more comfortable from the left or right block? Does my shooting guard shoot the ball better coming off screens going right or going left?

The point should also have a feel for the opposing players foul trouble or where there are defensive mismatches and be able to exploit them without the coach having to say that.

3. Leadership

Leadership is another quality that is a must for a good point guard. Between plays are you huddling your teammates up to let them know what defense you’re in or what play your coach wants to run? Are you encouraging your teammates or reprimanding them? If your big guy has been running the floor, but yet to receive the ball in the post, keep encouraging him and let him know you will be getting him the ball. Are you telling guys who they need to be matched up with or are you confused yourself? Through scouting do you know tendencies for all the opposing players or just the guys you are guarding? To truly be a “coach on the floor” you must know the intricacies of your team and the opponent.

4. Decision making

Decision making is another component that a point guard cannot overlook. Turnovers can be a detriment to a team’s success. The point guard has the ball in his hands more than anyone and is looked upon to make sound decisions.

A good point guard must value the ball and each possession for their team to succeed. It goes deeper than turnovers, but into shot selection and knowing personnel. Know the difference between a good shot and bad shot. Not knowing the difference can essentially be the same as a turnover as can not knowing your own personnel.

Many of these traits come with experience through playing the game, but many can also come through film and studying. A good point guard or basketball player in general can never study too much. You can never know all of your plays too much or find enough instances through film where you did not lead like you should. Invest in being the best point guard you can be both mentally and physically and your team will benefit greatly because of it.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 11:26 

This is a great article. Thanks Coach Sar

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 11:30 

Glad you liked it... how are things going in high school?

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 11:54 

its good, we are starting tryouts on monday.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 16:57 

Good luck, I hope you have a good season.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 16:38 

I didn't catch your age throughout this post, but I would advise you to get physically stronger. Depending on your age, I don't suggest heavy weightlifting, especially during the season.

At least do some pushups, situps, and maybe squats.

When a defender leaps into your space trying block your shot, you may want to develop a move the leanss into the opponent. This is very effective if the defender does not jump straight up to block your shot.

Have a great season!

Get Your FREE SPECIAL REPORT: Top Priorities For A New Youth Basketball Coach
http://www.bestyouthhoops.com/blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next