All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 13:38 

Ben,

Here is something that we did with a couple of our players... ones we knew that would be our good shooters and guys that were going to get to the free throw line a lot.

They would shoot 1,000 free throws a day with someone feeding them a ball.... you use two balls and right after you shoot one and it goes in, the feeder passes you the other and that continues... shooting 10 at a time. These guys were mid 80s free throw shooters during the season. [ put your dad to work :-) ]

Lets make this a little easier to start with.... (after doing some BEEF check) start by shooting 100 a day, 5 at a time using the above drill. 5 relax, 5 relax, 5 relax etc. Once you get accustomed to shooting 100 increase it to 200 as time permits. This will reinforce your form (so make sure you are doing it correctly - like you were last year) and ends up as muscle memory.

Back to what I said before, don't over think your shot... just get back to when you were shooting comfortably and then let it fly..... Maybe you are trying to do too much with your game right now?? Just keep playing to your strengths and things should work out fine for you.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2011, 10:06 

Hey Ben,

I was wondering if you had tried shooting free throws like I suggested? AND, If you did, how is it working out?

Have you been watching the playoffs? D Rose is something else isn't he! That one crossover move almost sent the guy into the first row. :-)

PostPosted: 13 May 2011, 06:39 

Check this out Ben -

http://training.pgcbasketball.com/free-pgc-videos---a1/

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 13:08 

Hey Coach,
I haven't been on for a while but I'm going to start high school this coming up school year.
Can you give me some tips on what to expect about high school basketball.

Thanks,
Ben

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 15:08 

Hey Ben, Good hearing from you again.

Growing up fast aren't you! Have fun in high school, it will be over before you know it. :-) First suggestion, IF the HS has a camp, make sure you attend.

Alot of that has to do with your high school coach... but I can tell you how it went at my school and our program. We had 5 levels, Frosh A & B, a Sophomore team, and a combined JV/Varsity. For us it was about teaching the Freshman the system and fundamentals. They played two games a week and practiced every day they didn't play except for Sunday. ( usually had Saturday morning games so they didn't practice then either )

Each level you play, the players get quicker, stronger and more talented... and the games get more intense. They DO play hard at every level, especially IF the head coach is there watching.... I saw almost all of the games.

IF you want your coaches to notice you, handle the ball well, play GREAT defense, find the open man, get on the floor after loose balls... take charges when you can and of course, shoot well, that goes without saying. Try and be a leader....

Do you have any specific questions? Just ask away.
By the way, how did your season go? I hope you had fun and learned a lot.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 12:34 

I went to the 1st summer workout the other day and its a way different game, especially when there's only one other jv player there. I'm going to another one on fridya and I'll use your tips.

AAU is still going on and we won our first tournament. We always get second but we finally came up on top. I'm improving a lot. Are team is preparing for Vegas which is a huge tournament.

Thanks,
Ben

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 15:37 

Only one other freshman? Well, look at it on the positive side, you are showing the coaching staff that you WANT to be there and play. This will also force you to step up your game, which isn't a bad thing. What was it like for you?

Congratulations on the victory... always nice to come out on TOP. Going to Vegas, that should be a great experience for you and the team. Good luck and I hope you do well. Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 20:39 

Check this out Ben -

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/lay-ups-pro-finishing-moves.html

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 10:00 

Thanks for the link. I try to use the floater a lot.

Ben

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 14:02 

Work on it at your own basket, maybe vs some friends in pick up games before you use that vs varsity kids... so you have a good feel for what you are doing.

Good luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next