All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2010, 18:35 

When doing the jab step, are you suppose to just "Step" towards the defender? Or, are you suppose to "Push" with your pivot foot, and then land on your non-pivot foot.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2010, 09:28 

Check out these videos -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlsP4jxXhxE&feature=player_embedded ( I think this guys does the best job of teaching the jab step move but I have two others for you )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK59frjBtjc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2fQXswR2w

Let me know what you think of these and IF they help you.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2010, 12:42 

In the 3rd link, the guy had horrible jab step fundamentals. He was leaning far to out, which does not make for an effective jab step.

Now, I would like to think that I have really good jab step fundamentals. But back when I was playing, one of my teammates told me that he just "Steps" to jab the defender without pushing with his pivot foot. In the other hand, I always try to push hard with my pivot foot and then step with my non-pivot. Now I am pretty sure that the way I do it is the correct way, but a confirmation would be a little nice to put aside my subconsciousness.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2010, 13:56 

Do what works best for you. IF you are successful with your jab step, why would you want to change it? Forget what other people say. I had some great scorers who's form was terrible.... if it aint broke, don't fix it.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 11:34 

My understanding has always been that a jab step was an attempt for an offensive player to gain space between his defender. A jab step is basically a fake dribble drive. The player jabs at defender or towards his strong side, simulating a dribble drive, and the defender will back off or retreat...resulting in creating space for a shot or pass.

A jab step should be short and quick...just like a jab in boxing..short and quick.
One more note, for a jab step to be believeable the offensive player must "show the ball". Which means extending the ball out a bit to fake the first dribble of the drive (ball and jabbing foot moving together), then he pulls ball and his foot back.
You gotta get low, triple threat position, jab, show ball, pull back quickly.

Just my thoughts.....

Good Luck,

Coach A

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 18:28 

Extremely well put and thought out.

Since the jab step is a fake dribble drive, and in a actual dribble drive you push hard with your pivot foot towards the basket, does that means that when jabbing I should push hard with my pivot foot to make the fake dribble drive more convincing?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 11:16 

Yes...I believe so. When making that jab step, the heel of your pivot foot should come up off the floor, weight shifting to the balls of your pivot foot.

Good Luck!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 13:41 

Thanks.