All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 23:45 

Now that it is summer I was wondering how many shots I should put up each day?

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 06:46 
Site Admin

Ben, that is a good question.

First, you need to ask yourself. How many shots are you willing to put up each day?

No use in planning 400 shots a day, if you're only willing to do 100 shots twice a week.

Second, I think a lot of people, myself included, get caught up in the number of shots taken. We need to focus on the quality of each shot taken. Are they taken with a 100% focus? Are they taken at game speed?

Player A takes 300 shots.
Player B takes 300 shots.

Player A has a precise plan. Player A shoots the shots at game speed. Player A has planned breaks. Player A incorporates free throws and game-like free throws into the workout. Player A works hard and is done with the workout in 60 minutes.

Player B doesn't have a plan. Player B is going at 1/2 speed. Player B takes some shots, then goes over and talks to the girls for about 30 minutes. Player B is shooting wherever he catches the ball and whatever shot he feels like. Player B is in the gym for 2 hours.

Both players took 300 shots.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 06:52 

Hey Ben, its been a long time - how are you doing?

I know that you have great form so that is not a worry.... so I would just take a few minutes and do a BEEF check and then work on your shots.

Start in close and work your way out as you master the first spot... pick a number - say 5 in a row and then move your spots, go from wing to in front to the other wing and then move out. Shoot a lot of free throws because that will solidify your form.....do that until you get to the arc.

How much time are you willing to spend on your shooting? Do you have a partner to work with ( even 2 other kids ) ?? IF its just you shooting you wont get as many shots in just because you will be getting your own rebound - you know - the ones coming out of the net :-)

I had several kids come in early in the morning and shoot for an hour and a half... got in 300 shots..... inside the arc and threes. Then they shot 100 free throws. Had a few that would come in and shoot one thousand free throws every morning during the summer...... took an hour with someone feeding them.... used two balls, he would shoot one and as the ball hit the net the other ball was on the way out. Those kids were like automatic from the line in the season.
Mid 80s and 90s in the 4th quarter.

So, tell me how much time you want to spend each day and I will try to figure out a program for you. You can set a goal that you want to shoot each day..... how many you want to make versus the number of shots taken.

Joe gave you some great advice.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 10:54 

Ok thanks a lot guys

Yesterday I got about 200 shots in about 40 minutes, I was aiming to get 250 shots in an hour but I got asked to play some 2 on 2 games and I couldn't refuse (I'm a nice guy).
But after the two games I got right back to the workout.

My shortened workout yesterday:

60 form shot makes- 30 1 handed, 30 2 handed
10 freethrows
40 1 dribble pullups
10 freethrows
50 shots spot shooting(16-17 ft- Right Corner, Right Wing, Center, Left Wing, Left Corner 10 shots each
10 freethrows
20 fullcourt pullup jumpers at the elbow(10 each hand)
1 and 1

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 12:19 

That sounds like a good plan Ben,

Shoot for the 250 shots in an hour - try to keep track of your makes vs the number of shots taken... and as you get comfortable with this - do this at game speed other than form and free throws.

IF you can get a partner to work with it will be more fun and you might be able to get some more shots off in that hour. Its always nice when you can compete with a buddy.

IF I remember correctly, you can shoot the 3 ball..... yes? IF you can, give yourself a couple of weeks in this program and then add shooting the 3. There is nothing wrong with getting some playing in also, heck, its summer, its supposed to be fun! We know your a nice guy and a hard worker too... so enjoy the games with your buddies.

By the way, are you playing in any summer leagues? Going to any camps? Do the high schools in your area offer Bball camps for guys your age? If they do, I would suggest that you attend them..... Just a thought. How did your school team and AAU team experiences end up?

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 12:34 

I'm still playing AAU and its been great. I've traveled to Sacramento, Reno and I'm going to Santa Ana. I have 3 more tournaments including Santa Ana. I am not going to any camps this summer because of AAU but last summer I did go to a college camp. Which the coach of the team actually was going to give me a scholarship to go to another of their camps but I wasn't able to go to the other camp.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 12:34 

Also for the spot shooting I went 30 for 50

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 12:52 

I'm glad the AAU experience was a good one... you must have impressed that coach for him to offer you a scholarship. I bet its a lot of fun travelling around and playing ball.... get to meet a lot of new guys - you never know where that can too. By the way, how did the college camp go?

How have you been playing in these tourneys? Getting enough playing time? Playing well and shooting well?

30 for 50 is good shooting - great shooting ..... I'd take a guy that ciould hit 60% of his shots any time!

Keep up the good work and enjoy your summer.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 13:10 

I have actually started many games and last tournament the first tournament we've won I lead the team in assists. We are pretty good and we only haven't been in the championship game once.

The camp was good and it was really fun.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 13:26 

I'm glad that things are going well for you.... I remember when things were a little tough... Patience is a virtue... you are young and a pretty good player right now... you WILL get a lot better..... You have a great work ethic!

I'm glad that you are having fun! Every coach that you play for and talk to will be able to give you a few tips that might help you. Even IF its only one thing.

You can pick my brain anytime.