All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 08:53 

I'm trying out for an AAU team this saturday and I was wondering if they're were any tips I could get on the tryouts.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 09:10 

Ben,

Trying out for AAU or any other team is pretty much the same... except there are some better players.

* Be aggressive and play smart
* Play to your strengths
* Play great defense
* Let the shot find you instead of you coming across as a ball hog.
( You are a good shooter - so relax )
* IF you penetrate, come to a jump stop and either take the shot, dump it to a post player or kick it out.
* Don't get to fancy right now - they will be looking for kids that can handle the ball well, find the open man and make a good pass, run the offense, take it to the hole.

I don't know how many try outs you will have, but you have to make yourself be seen above the rest. When we had free play before the season and as I sat there and watched the freshman play..... I would look for things like this - Quickness #1 Could they shoot - Could they handle the ball - Can they pass it and catch it on the move. - Did they play good on the ball defense AND IF they were smart off the ball defenders -- and if they dove on the floor for a loose ball that was a bonus.

I was a Head Boys Varsity coach at a high school... those were the things I looked for... maybe there are some AAU coaches in here that can give you some tips that they look for.

Good luck Ben!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 16:20 

Ben,

I had a whole list of things from other coaches.. got deleted somehow... but they are saying pretty much what I said,......

Hustle and eye contact..
Run from drill to drill
Get some rest the night before
Relax and have some fun

Here is something I thought was pretty interesting.... as you go through the tryouts... find out what kind of coach(s) they are... will they teach or are they into the almighty W? See if this team is the correct fit for YOU.

Good luck and I hope you find what you want in this team.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 23:24 

First of all,
I have 2 tryouts. I do not know who the coach is and the AAU team is associated with the NJB league I play in. Its called the SV Stars. I think in most tryouts I try really harrd to impress the coach and I end up doing to many things I cant do.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 06:30 

OK Ben,

Good assessment of yourself... remember - IF things don't go great on the first day, you have another day to impress him.

So, lets talk about the things you DO have control over (we never know what kind of day we will have shooting.. so let the shots come to you and you will do fine.)

1- You have control over how hard you play and hustle... so be the HARDEST WORKING player on the floor! Make those coaches say - " Ben is the hardest working kid on the floor!"
2- Be polite (I'm sure you are already) and always make eye contact!
3- Hustle from drill to drill even though others might walk there.
4- Be as enthusiastic as you can.
5- Play defense like it is for the NBA championship.
5- IF you get a chance to dive for a loose ball or take a charge.. go for it... I Know that things like this always opened my eyes to a player.

5- **** Play to your STRENGTHS! Don't try to do things you cant do - show the coaches that you are fundamentally sound - passing, catching, dribbling and shooting. ( I think the last thing they want to see is some kid trying to "hot dog: it too much.
6- Show the coaches that you KNOW the game

* Use that killer crossover IF you get the chance, thats a good basic move that impresses anyone that knows the game.

OK, here comes the psychological part of the game... Do you know this coach or coaches? IF you do, find out what they are looking for in a player and hopefully you can fill that need. That has a lot to do with how some coaches pick their teams...

Leave it all out on the floor and let the chips fall where they may.... get some rest the night before... and PLEASE have some FUN.

Good luck, I'm sure that you will do very well.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 06:59 

Here is something I came across Ben - it fits this situation. ( I think anyway)

"Hang in there!" There are few traits more important than
perseverance. Most important accomplishments in life happen because of perseverance. Most "luck" occurs when we've persevered long enough for the "magical moment" to come along --

Edison said it best: life's greatest feats,the world's greatest discoveries, his own most fantastic inventions are "1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." "Hang in there!"

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 18:09 

I do not know who the coaches are or what theyre looking for so I'm going to go out and do my best.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 18:58 

Thats all anyone can do Ben.

Hustle - play hard and be attentive - look the coaches in the eye... try and get there early... that shows that you are REALLY interested.

Be the HARDEST WORKING player on the floor! I already know that you are a good shooter and can handle the ball... I'm sure you will do well. :-)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 13:44 

This was was written by Rick Majerus

Good ball handlers are easy to spot. They are at least adequate with both hands. A great dribbler is one who can go full speed up and down the length of the court with either hand and come to a stop under control.

A super dribbler is one who can change direction with the ball, head and shoulder fake and change pace accelerating rapidly by the defender. When I see this happen, I know the kid’s a keeper.

A real test of a ball handler comes when he encounters full court pressure. An average guard turns his back against pressure or goes with the playground “spin move.” A heady guard uses a pull back crossover dribble so as to maintain vision up court thus eliminating the likelihood of a double team or trap. And last of all, a great ball handler can back up with the ball.

He’ll do it to reset the offense, or perhaps to avoid a trap, and this is an indication to me that the young man is a bright player and can handle the ball. A player who can do all of the aforementioned in addition to shoot the ball is really a find.

I thought you might like this info Ben.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 22:58 

Today we had a scrimmage for school and our first game is next Thursday. the score was 34-24 them after 4 and we played five. I scored 7 points in 3 quarters of the 5 3-6 1-1 on 3s 1 layup and a stop and pop in the lane.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next