All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 12:56 

hi,

since i've started playing basketball 2 seasons/years ago i've played at the center position because:
1: i wasn't very fast and still am
2: i was the tallest guy on the team
3: i was the strongest and most physical player

but now i asked my coach if i can play at forward if i change my game, so i get more oppurtunities to create for my teammates and make more passes, because last 2 seasons i only had assists on fastbreaks when someone was up the court and that gave me an selfish feeling. (and i didn't like that)
My coach approved my request because he has seen my progress on shooting (with the help of the people on here). But if i want to play forward i have to be able to control the ball when dribble driving or making cross-overs, and get quicker on both ends (on offense and defense) and pass better.

but my question now is what drills should i do to achieve this?
(i already searched the internet but could only find multiple player excersises, i want to train on my own so i need drills for 1 person)

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 14:45 

Robert,

If you look on this site under "Basketball Drills / Players" there are a lot of ball handling / dribbling drills. You can do other searches on the net - A players best friend..... killer crossover dribble. Playing on the perimeter is a whole differnt game.... you need to be able to read the defense, make accurate passes, move the ball, and knock down YOUR shot.... whatever that is right now. Maybe you should work on Mid Range jump shots.

What level will you be playing at next year?

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 14:00 

(I play in europe so its a little different)
i will play U18 (you could compare that to highschool juniors and seniors only) and U20 (you could compare that to college freshmans and sophomores) next season

and the work on mid range jump shots is a work in progress (you can see the topic 'accuracy' in the 'shooting' forum; i made that) sometimes i knock down 7-10 from 10-18 foot out and sometimes only 2-10, but my form is almost perfect, i just have to adjust the arc and timing (my coaches say so)

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 16:07 

What specific drills will help me with my quickness and explosivness because i can't find any.
is weight lifting an option when trying to get better at these aspects?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 05:32 

Quickness drills

Running short distances back and forth...

* end line to free throw line and back. SPRINTS
* end line to half court and back SPRINTS
* side to side on the free throw lane SHUFFLE

Jump Rope 45 - 60 seconds at a time

Jump over lines back and forth for 20-30 seconds
* 2 FEET
* 1 foot

Find a couple of boards to jump over - (raising the height from time to time) same as above

Find a good sturdy box, jump on and off several times

The key is to give yourself a baseline - time yourself and then try to do the drills quicker and longer as you get used to it. As for lifting, anytime you can make yourself stronger, its going to help you as an athlete.