All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 May 2010, 19:16 

Ben,

I know we were talking about dribbling some time ago.... saw this on you tube....

YouTube - Mr Crossover - Tim Hardaway Mix

Talk about a Killer crossover move. Check that out. Hope things are going well for you. Are you still playing or are those seasons over now?

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 08:28 

Sorry about not posting in along time so I had my first AAu tournament 2 weeks ago and did well. Then this weekend I have the championship game of a tournament in about an our and a half

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 10:58 

Glad to hear that you are playing well... keep up the hard work and you will do just fine. Good luck in the tourney Championship game... hope you get the W.

When you get a chance take a look at the Hardaway crossover and let me know what you think.

I am trying to upload one of our games from several years ago... a friend is trying to help me with this... I'll let you know.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 15:48 

We lost the game today I got barely any playing time because Im one of the new guys on the team. Im going to work harder than everyone at practice to try to get some more playing time. The whole tournament I went 1-2 and 2-2 on free throws and 4 points. I think I only had 2 turnovers the whole tournament(3 games) but not sure how many assists. I had 2 rebounds and 2 steals.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 17:01 

The new guy on the block always has to prove themself - bust your butt in practice - show him that you DESERVE more playing time. Those are good stats for limited playing time..... I hope you can earn a little more time for your next games.

Did you check out the Hardaway video? Talk about being quick! How is school going? Shouldn't be too much longer and summer vacation will be here. What are your plans for the summer?

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 17:04 

I think ive seen that video before He probably broke so many peoples ankles. I have straight A's still and we're going to sacramento in 2 weeks for another AAU tournament.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 17:08 

He is amazing! I don't think I could have done that WITHOUT a ball. :-)

Ben, Keep up the good work in school.... straight As, I was a C student until I went to college later on in my life. I had some excellent students on my teams in the past... they are doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. I was very proud to have been part of their lives growing up...... I bet your parents are very proud of you.

You do a lot of traveling with that team..... thats fun too. Stay in touch.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 17:15 

ok will do.
But one question,
In one of my games I had somewhat of a breakaway layup but the defender was coming up from the block to meet me at the basket and I tried to just take it at him, I missed the contested layup but I kindof layed it up from behind of my body. wat do you think I should of done in that situation.

p.s. the guy was probably half of foot taller than me.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 17:26 

Ben, Tough situation to be in when someone is so much taller than you are.... I was there at your age.

I don't know if this can work for you, but what I have seen shorter players do in games that I watched this year was to take the ball right at the guy - take it right into his body and let the Ref make the call. I've seen those kids take it to the D and get knocked down and no call..... but at least you are doing something aggressively. Sometimes you might get the foul call, sometimes you wont. I have never seen any one get called for a charge because most of the time the big guys want to block shots. You might surprise yourself and make a few.

I don't know how the refs call the game where you are playing.... what are your thoughts on this? Like that idea? BTW, as a coach I don't think I would have liked you laying it up from behind your body.... but then again.... its hard for me to picture that.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 17:31 

Ben: A break a way in the open court being defend by a guy that was much taller and probably not as quick as you. In that situation I think you made the right choice to take it at him. OK, so you missed the lay up don't beat yourself up about your decision making. There are many things to take into account in that situation: the score, the time left in the game, did you need the basket, was it one on one or did you have a teammate coming with you to create an odd man situation? Your a straight A student son, and straight A students rarely make poor decisions. Take care young man, good luck in Sacramento. Coach Mac