All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 11:05 

Just some thoughts for you Ben -

GREAT TEAMS & PLAYERS:

are self-motivated ...
are intelligent ...
are consistent ...
execute ...
are fundamentally sound ...
out hustle opponets ...
play together ...
do not worry about individual accomplishments. The team is always first ...
win the games they are supposed to ...
can accept constructive criticism ...
believe in their teammates and help motive them by being a positive complimentary player ...
are not just satisfied with a win, but also with how well they played...
I would add this too - Be happy for the team in a Win - don't sulk if you didn't play well or didn't get the playing time you think you deserve
have players who have sacrificed many hours by themselves in the cold, at night, when they could've been somewhere else, in order to become a better skilled individual in order to better help the team...
are not just born, but are developed by hard work, cooperation, and a common goal ...

THE BEST THING IS, IT IS YOUR CHOICE!

Just some thoughts I got from another coach.... Log them in the back of your mind or print them out.... but don't drive yourself crazy over them.... I think you have a GREAT work ethic!

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 22:24 

Today I had another game and I scored 7 points on 2-2 shooting, 2-3 on freethrows and 1-1 on 3s. The three free throws were from getting fould on another 3.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 04:24 

Hey Ben: that's a fairly productive night...how was your defense, rebounding, steals, intercepted passes, assists. Sorry Ben not trying to steal your thunder, but scoring is not the only assessment of good play. Ive seen coach Sar's conversations with you and in all Ive read, I saw very little about scoring. Coach Sars emphasized the importance of all the skills I mentioned earlier in this message. He tells me your a great kid and work really hard and I'm sure he's right. I coach Pro basketball so I'm highly critical but I admire your drive, determination and your curiosity about every aspect of the game. good luck young man you sound as if you have a solid foundation, I'll bet you have great parents. Coach Mac

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 09:01 

Since we played zone a lot when I was in the game our coach has one guy release and basically cherrypick and I was that guy. But when we did play m2m me and the other guard did a fullcourt man 2 man and other 3 picked up there man at halfcourt so we forced a lot of turnovers. I think I hd 4 assists and 1 turnover in 2 quarters of play.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 09:26 

Ben,

Coach Mac and I would call guys like that " blueliners" an old hockey term for guys that didn't play D ...just looked to cherry pick as you put it. Anyway to get a few points on the board that you might get otherwise works for me. I did that one year with my Varsity team because we weren't getting any EASY points.

If you are forcing turnovers I would say that you and the other guard are doing a great job pressuring the ball. Al McGuire (X coach of Marquette) used to say - " Cut off the head and the body dies. " Meaning, that IF you can get the point guard off his game... the team doesn't function very well.

I've had several players tell me about how we practiced and played... here are two comments from one of them.

I think the way we practiced…ALWAYS HARD…. Made us have that same mentality in games, very important!

To be honest, everything we did in practice had a direct correlation to our games, we had no wasted time.

You have your last tryout for the AAU team this Saturday right? Outhustle everyone on the floor.... leave everything there... GOOD LUCK BEN...

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 09:45 

actually the last tryout is tonight so ill post how i did.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 09:49 

Good luck Ben... I hope it works out for you!! :-)

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 15:19 

Ben,
Here is something that you might like... I think it fits you -

This is what Tim Duncan's mother sang to him when
he was a child:

" Good, better, best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better is your best!"

By the way, condsidering that you don't play the entire game I think those are good numbers. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 21:01 

Ben...

I don't know how things worked out at the tryouts yet... but I do want to say this one thing to you ( I said this to another poster also ) but regardless of how things went -

" Don't ever stop chasing your dream "

You are a great kid and a hard worker and I agree with Coach Mac - I bet your parents are very proud of you.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 00:51 

Sorry I havent been posting havent had time. Ysterday we came back from a 7 point deficit to beat a team. I had 5 points on 2-2 shooting, 1-2 from the line a couple assists and a couple of rebounds.

I had one question When a guy is riding your hip and pushing out and the ref doesnt call a foul what should you do?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next