All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 08:13 

How did your tryouts go yesterday? Hope things are going well for you there.

I was looking at a few videos on you tube, watched one about creating space and getting your shot off... take a look at this one -

Click here: YouTube - Creating Space to Score!! Chase's Blog -- How to Shoot a Basketball --

Copy and paste that Ben.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 08:51 
Site Admin

Coach Sars & Ben, I picked up something really interesting from Don Kelbick about reading the defense in 1on1 situations. We're actually coming out with an article on it shortly.

He calls it the "Act of Immediacy". You take what the player is good at and have him react immediately. Then, if the defense takes away your move, you have a counter to your immediate move. For example, Don worked with a post player in Europe who would get "paralysis analysis" by trying to read the defense. So Don took what he was comfortable with which was a drop-step baseline, hook shot and had the player do that move over and over, so he got REALLY good at it. Then, he added a counter to that move, so when the defense takes away the hook shot, he has another move to beat the defense with. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this, Don)

In his experience, he found players would always resort to what they were comfortable with no matter how many times you practiced reading the defense in practice. Another thought was that split-second (or longer) it takes for you to read the defense, gives the advantage back to the defense. By acting immediately, the defense does not get the opportunity to get set.

I can relate to this, because in high school, I had a decent hesitation dribble. If the defender took it away, I used a wrap-around dribble that went behind my back. So, I had my "immediate" (hesitation) move and then my "counter" move (wrap-around or behind the back).

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 12:14 

Tryouts went well yesterday and im doing well defensively and ball-handling and stuff like that. But my shot is not falling.

The way set up one drill it looks like theyre considering me but I think I need to hit some shots.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 13:04 

Thats great advice Joe, always good to have a counter to add to your game. Don always has some good points to add to our discussions.

OK Ben,

You're handling the ball well and playing good D! Both PLUSES!!

How many good looks are you getting? Are you playing vs a m2m Defense? You might have to create a little something for yourself IF you have the chance.

My suggestion for this week is to do A LOT of shooting so that when you go into the next try out session you are ready and confident. I've seen you shoot, you have a great shot, have some confidence in yourself and knock the shot down when you get the opportunity!

How much time do you have to do some shooting every day? Set a goal for yourself and get after it... remember, game speed and good luck buddy.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 21:15 

i had another game today and I went 4-4 with 8 points and 0-1 on free throws. I had one stop and pop, 2 layups 1 was a regular layup but the other was a contested layup where I was running at the guy with the ball and he kind of jabbed at me like he was trying to block it and then stepped off and I finished it. My other shot was a 17 footer from the wing when I pumpfaked took one dribble to the left and knocked it down.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 21:23 

That was nice shooting Ben!! Just go into next weeks tryouts with the same confidence. Things falling in place for you now? (with your shot?)

Just relax and shoot it like you shoot at your own basket! So - how much time do you have to devote to shooting each day this week?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 21:38 

I probably spend and half an hour to an hour shooting around everyday. I also do ballhandling.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 21:44 

Set a number of shots that you want to make and do them at game speed. (after you do a little form shooting - you have great from by the way!)

Then see if you can make more in a half hour than the day before.... too bad you cant have somebody feed you... or shoot with you - you can get a lot more shots in that way!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 09:45 

I just wanted to talk to you about one play in my game yesterday.

I was playing the wing and I told the point guard on that play that Im going to post up my man. Our formation is 3 wings and the two post guys on the elbows(We don't really have a huge banger on our team). So I posted my guy up just a foot off the block. Then my big guy on the same side I was on cut to the basket and I gave him a bounce pass for a hoop.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 10:04 

That's kind of like a back door play, one of the slickest plays in the game... I would have loved to see that one! We used to send someone to the short corner and then duck the high post player right to the rim. A great move - this is very similar. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Nice heads up play Ben!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next