All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 21:50 

I played good defence and im always working on my shot and ball handling. I am probably shooting 100 shots a day when I dont have practice after school because of home work and stuff like that.
But on the weekend I get over 200 shots just because of shooting 150 form shots. I have my first school game on thursday so im pretty excited and the next aau tryout is the saturday coming up.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 07:27 

I think you are a dedicated player Ben.... you have a good work ethic.... At your position you HAVE to be a good defender so keep working at that.
From looking at your shots I think that you have great form and from what you keep telling me, the results of your shooting shows that what you are doing is working. I might make this suggestion... when you are done with your form shooting, try to do your shooting at game speed. IF you think your footwork is good now, its important that you shoot that way.... we don't get too many "HORSE" type looks in games. :-)
You have a big week coming up - First school game - GOOD LUCK THERE and the last (?) AAU tryout, or are there more? Give that your best shot.
I hope things work out well for you.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 09:49 

I think there is one more after the next one and they want you to go to all of them.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 09:51 

Good idea.... if you miss one you can probably count yourself out.

Give it your best shot.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 15:15 

Ben,

I was watching a shooting tape from George Lehman.... "Road to Success" and he said a few things about keeping the head still and freezing the guide hand... I went back and watched your shooting videos..... great job.... you head is still and your guide hand is frozen, great follow thru and foot work....

Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 17:14 

I tried to find that tape out there somewhere Ben, I don't think its available anymore. I always liked watching this... and its how we taught shooting. This tape he shoots hundreds of shots and doesn't miss ONE! I saw him a shooting clinic and we had him at our school... NOT ONE MISS.... amazing!

Here is something he let his kids do at the end of every practice...

HAVE FUN
Take the ball at half court, take the ball to the basket using any move or moves that you want to and take a jumper of whatever.... in essence.... be a HOT DOG and have some fun...

Most of our posts have been on the serious side so I thought it was time for you to try out some stuff YOU want to do.... You never know, you might invent a new move.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 20:17 

So I had my game yesterday and we got killed. We werent boxing out at all. On the first possesion the team got 5 offensive rebounds then they finall y got a basket( I wasnt in) :). But I scored 2 points on 1of 1 shooting when I got the ball in the corner pump faked, the guy went by and I took a dribble to the left and swished from 17 feet. I think I had 3 or 4 assists and 1 or 2 turnovers.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 21:05 

Sorry to hear about the loss.... but at least you guys know what you need to work on... BOXING OUT! I used to tell my players that they worked so hard on defense that then need to FINISH... Box Out & REBOUND!

Just keep working at your game.. and things will get better. The season is early, you have a long way to go. Let me know how things are going and IF you have any more questions or ideas.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 23:21 

Do college and NBA players know what theyre going to do on the play? For ex. Does the player go, I'm going to shoot a jump shot on this play or is it I see the guy off playing the drive now im going to shoot it.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 06:46 

I think the good players read the defense and react accordingly. Don't forget the NBA players are some of the best players in the world. They have been playing for years and have a lot of experience to help them make those decisions. The good college players react that way also.

If I'm a good three point shooter and you let me open I am going to knock it down, you close out to fast - I give you a shot fake and either go around you or crossover dribble as you go by me and I take the outside shoot.

IF it is a SET play and you are getting a few screens so you can shoot the three, then as you are catching the ball you are thinking shot... but IF that defender plays you tough and takes away that shot then you have to react and penetrate to set someone else up.
Most plays are designed with more than one option just in case they do take away the first.

Its kind of like playing baseball when you are batting - you don't have a lot of time to decide IF you are going to pull the trigger - you like the pitch, its in your zone, you let it rip. Have confidence in your own abilities... I've seen your shot... its darn good... if you are open.. shoot the ball.

Don't try to out-think yourself Ben... thats why I always say "let the shot find you.... " and then react. Don't drive yourself nuts, have FUN.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next