All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 07:14 

Ben,

Looking at your percentages I would say that you are taking GOOD shots and thats important. IF you do that at the tryout you should do very well. What I really like is the variety of your shot selection... 1 - three.. got into the lane for a duece... a lay up etc. That makes you hard to guard because they wont know what you like to shoot. Keep up the good work.

Do you play m2m defense at school? How would you assess your defensive work? Good pressure on the ball and good help D?

Good luck this Saturday at the tryouts.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 09:39 

In school we usually swithch it up between man to man and zone for zone we use a 2-1-2.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 09:42 

I hope you play more m2m than zone... it will help you at the next level... Keep your eye on the Brass Ring.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 10:24 

When you say jumpstop in the key how far out is the jumpstop?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 11:27 

When I was teaching the 3 on 2 into 2 on 1.... the first part.. 3 on 2, I wanted the player to jump stop outside the paint... that way there is NO rush to do anything.. you can read the Defense.

Now in games... you might not have that luxury... so when you penetrate and get into the paint.. recognizing that you CANT get to the rim... come to a jump stop and think of your options... shoot - dump to a post player - or kick it out. The advantages to jump stopping are that you can get yourself under control... NOT charging someone and thus turning an advantage to a disadvantage.... this allows you to make good decisions.

This is a decision that you will have to make.. each situation can be different depending on what the defense does.

Good luck Today Ben!

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 11:43 

Copy and paste this in your search engine... it shows the jump stop, crossover and a few other things that you might want to look at.

The Jump Stop in Basketball: Advanced Basketball Techniques | ...

IF you check out the drills etc. on this site you will find out some more information regarding the jump stop.

I know that you are looking for THAT spot to use the jump stop and again I think that you will make that decision as you start using this in the lane... my advice.. don't go in so far that you cant do anything with the ball.....

IF you are NOT going all the way to the hole.. what is the big difference in a 10 foot shot or a 13 - 15 foot shot... YOU can make any one of those shots Ben.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 18:12 

On the jumpstop article is it coaches clipboard?

I just had my tryout so ill tell you about it.

The coach stresses good defence and I played defence very well.
But, I only took like 3 shots. Made 2. But we didnt really scrimmage but I think next saturday we will.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 19:19 

Now that you know what the coach is looking for.. .DEFENSE... you can really work hard on that..... coaches are always looking for a SHUT DOWN defender. I think you can handle the ball pretty well... and your shooting is darn good.

Coaches Clipboard does have an article on Jump Stops.. its under Players Tips - Footwork Fundamentals. I have a bunch of stuff on there... Open Post Offense - Double Up, an article on our Match Up Zone 1-3-1 and some sets.

By the way Ben, be patient about scoring.. it will come. 2 for 3 is excellent shooting. As you get older (high school age) and coaches know you can shoot well, they will start running sets for you... regardless if you are the point guard or not. I know I did. Just work on your overall game, be fundamentally sound and you will do well... you have good head start right now.

Keep up the good work and let us know how its going.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 18:55 

Today I had another game and went 2-6, 0-1 on 3s. I had one layup and on stop and pop.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 19:26 

How was your defense today? Are you still working on your shot outside? How many shots a day do you think you are taking? I realize that you are in school and your extra pratice time is limited... but I was just wondering.

Good things happen when you play hard... so keep up the good work. Did you get a chance to look at the stuff on Coaches Clipboard?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next